New
Find
Notify
Tools

357/38 for Wife and Kids
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Need a home defense weapon that the wife and older kids can handle (they can all shoot well). Probably sold on at least a .38 since the 8 and 10 yr old can handle that recoil in a heavier gun fine (heck the 8 yr old puts them all on a pie plate @ 15' with my 44!).

My biggest consideration is the kids being able to handle the size of the gun. They will probably want to shoot it single action since their fingers are not long/strong enough for a double (my 8 yr old has trouble with my small frame S&W).

I am thinking a newer Ruger Vaquero with its long hammer spur or a Baretta Stampede. Both have the skinnier Western grips and their weight soaks up more recoil.

What do you think, other suggestions?

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you can still find them but the Beretta Model 86 in 9mm might be worth considering. It has a tip up barrel which means you don't have to rack the slide to load the first cartridge. This means even a fairly weak person can just drop a single cartridge in the barrel and lock it back into place. It also means you can leave a loaded magazine in the gun when it's at rest, with the barrel tipped up to show nothing is chambered. Ammo is cheap and there are better 9mm ammo options than .38 Special options in my opinion.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Deke, I would look hard at the Ruger Sp101 w/ a 3" bbl. The rev. has the most flexability in grip fit as you can replace the grips. The Sp101 is a smaller 5shot & pretty easy to get to the hammer even for smaller hands. The weight is enough to dampen recoil of 38sp or even 38sp+p. It would be my choice for shooters w/ small hands.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Down south
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about getting the wife a Lady Smith since I'm a Smith Nut anyway. This model 60LS is a nice piece. I took her to a gun shop the other day and let her handle one. She liked the feel of it. It would make a great purse or pocket gun.
I keep a S&W 4006 for a nightstand gun but a good old 12 gauge loaded with buckshot is hard to beat for a house gun. If you really want a handgun then I'd recommend a revolver. They are easier for younger folks and women to understand and in my opinion they are safer, especially for kids.

Posts: 64 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 642 and love it, probably fire 800rds through it a year, but the trigger pull is too stiff for my kids to shoot double action (8yr old has to pull with both forefingers) and the hammer too stiff/small on the Lady Smith for the little ones to easily cock. I will take a 357/38 over a 9mm any day and believe the options are quite numerous. A revolver is simpler and more reliable.

Second the 4006 as I also have a 1006.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well i can't say anything about sp101 but i grew up with a ruger security six now i have 2 of them one in house at all time and one on me i live on farm and prefer the revolver being the dirt and grass and anything else that you can imagine gets in each nook and cranny of the gun and always ready to work when out and about off farm i go back to tried and true 45acp.but to answer you go to shops pick up and hand the various guns and yes i will say look at the ruger remember you can always work triggers so maybe just ask a good local smith about your 642 and nice to see another s&w 1006 fan i love mine

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote