Find
Notify
Tools

AMT .30 Automag III ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted
I also saw one of these the other day, I have an old M1 and reload for it, thought it might be nice to have a sidearm in the same cal. Can anyone give me some advise (good or bad) about these pistols.

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member

Posts: 106 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one. Very nice gun, quite accurate (long sight radius). Very impressive noise. Sold it because I just could not find a use for it. However it was certainly enjoyable to shoot!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Sold it because I just could not find a use for it.

We have to have a use for all of them?

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had one of them in the cabinets for years now. always worked just fine. only disadvantage about it is its size & weight. definitely not a ccw piece. also it is an ear muff special.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an AMT IV in 45 win mag, It took a lot of tweaking and load experimenting to get something I liked and could shoot reliably.

I wish I still had it just because I wish I still had everything, but I really think it suffered from being at the very edge of the locking lug design with a heavy bullet at those pressures. For the 30 i bet it would be fine.

On the other hand, parts can be scarce, mags are too, and if you just want a sidearm that ingests anything from your longarm I think the thing to have is a wheelgun. No brass chasing if that matters. case length may be an issue to work out between the two but charge and bullet should have no serious effect.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Fun pistols, for sure. I would rather have my Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine back before an AMT, though. I don't have a preference for revolvers over autos but my Ruger shot much better and was even louder, if that is possible. The fireball from either is impressive, too.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
but my Ruger shot much better and was even louder, if that is possible. The fireball from either is impressive, too.

Ain't that so true--How did they make that thing so Loud--must have had acoustic engineers up all night for months working on that.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
funny thing, there is one for sale here at a local gun shop.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
but my Ruger shot much better and was even louder, if that is possible. The fireball from either is impressive, too.

Ain't that so true--How did they make that thing so Loud--must have had acoustic engineers up all night for months working on that.

A big fireball and concussion is usually a result of using ball powders.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote