New
Find
Notify
Tools

22Mag Self Defense Ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
First before the naysayers weigh in, the 22Mag is not high on my lists for self defense (I prefer my 10mm auto and 38+P for my CCW's). With that being said, I have a heavier Colt Frontier Scout 22Mag that my kids love to shoot, they shoot it very well (those two criteria almost alone make it a very good choice) that I want them to be able to shoot in a home defense situation. Before the naysayers weigh in again, those that know me, know that I am a stickler for safety (only one of my kids has been taught access) so save your breath. Is there a particular 22Mag load that will hold together well and still penetrate adequately (I would think that FMJ would overpenetrate.....)?

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'll try not to be a naysayer but if your boys can handle 22mag, they can handle a 38sp w/ 148grWC ammo. A 4" K-frame 38sp DA rev. would a better choice IMO, but I would look to a heavy softpoint like the PMC 40grSP, WW45gr Dynapt, RP 40grSP or Fed. 50grJHP. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fred for not flaming me. I have a 15oz 38sp, but it is often with me and don't want to pick up another. The 15oz 38 is brisk, not as friendly as the heavy colt. Do you have experience with those loads or are you speculating?

Deke

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't know whether i'd use the old winny 40 gr full metal jacket or go the cci's 40 gr load. the FMJ would penetrate better I think, but the cci would upset better. in any case I think to use the heaviest bullet i can find

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are Paco Kelly's recommendations when he carried a 22WMR as a LEO.

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_22AutoMag.htm

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would still be concerned about penetration or rather over penetration!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Only on small game Deke. For bigger things, I would think heaviest JHP or JSP available. The real problem w/ the 22wm is it will kill all day but is not a stopper unless CNS is hit. That's a diff. chore for a seasoned shooter w/ a good SD handgun & you will be asking children to do this w/ a less than ideal weapon. I would almost say a semiauto in .22lr a better choice as you can make multiple hits quickly, better chance of hitting CNS beofre the BG gets pissed & hurts the shooter. Just food for thought, it's your family.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All very good points and Paco's article was pretty good as well. Spoke to CCI tech for a while today and that was reconfirming. He basically said that out of a pistol, bullet construction (unless a lt wt varmit bullet which will not penetrate adequately), was not a consideration since all would not expand significantly (in tissue/bone all acting like FMJ), a lighter hollow point would penetrate adequately, but might not overpenetrate like a heavier one. Paco recomended the gold dot load which has not been made for a while. I am leaning towards the 40gr JHP loads. As far as the BG getting pissed, this would be a situation where Mom has failed to stop the guy, a kid has escaped to where the safe is, and it is a last resort. The kids really enjoy shooting the 22Mag, and I consider proficiency and comfort very important. In most situations getting aimed at, much less shot, will cause 99% to run, but I would think you must be proficient/comfortable to do that. Still not sure though, so don't consider this a "I know it all" closed debate.....

Thanks Much,
Deke.

one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
I carry a smith & wesson 351pd in 22 mag as a backup to my primary in the summer. After doing some wet newspaper tests I settled on the winchester supreme 40 gr jhp.

When you need it and don't have it you'll be singing a different tune.

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ550,

Can you elaborate (other loads tested, penetration depth, shape/wt of recovered bullets, etc.)?

Deke.

one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
I tried a lot of different loads such as maxi mags, remington accutips, dynamite nobels from rws and others. I found that I liked the winchester supremes based on their penetration and expansion properties. They seemed to be a good compromise between reasonably deep penetration and violent expansion.

When you need it and don't have it you'll be singing a different tune.

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote