Notify
Tools

New Rifle /Pistol ruling!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
Sorry if this has been posted... It's new to me:

You can now make a rifle from your Pistol and switch back and forth and be WITHIN the law!

http://www.atf.gov/regulations...tf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

Collins

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, it has always been legal to the best of my knowledge.

I'll show some pics of my AR-pistol in 300 BLK one of these days. Hopefully suppressed at full-auto.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Ugghhh not this again... No it hasn't, if it was the BATFE would not have had the new ruling in July.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The batf was not folowing the court ruling that allowed this from the 90's.

They just brought themselfs in line with what the court said was legal.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The good thing about this ruling is it clears up the muddied waters. There were many different thoughts as to whether it was legal or not in the past and this clarifies it.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
There were problems caused by the ATF because of Contender barrels and rifle stocks. The pistol to carbine kits have been legal. The letter clarifies the existing laws. For past kits there have been several for 1911's and Glocks on the market. The newest entry was the Neos Carbine kit which has generated the interest and the new letter.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
As an aside to this go back to the AR=7 and Explorer II fom Charter Arms, the Explorer (pistol) barrel had to be made so it could not fit the rifle. It has reference notches at 12 nad 6 o'clock the rifle barrel is notched at 12 o'clock and will fit both. No maximum barrel length for a pistol but a minimum for a rifle. Also pertanent to this was custom bolt pistols like the XP-100 or Charger, recievers had to leave the factory designated as pistol because making a rifle into a pistol is not legal. Making a pistol into a rifle is.

The ATF "ruling" references existing laws and regulations that have not changed.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, if I have an old TC, a 12" barrel, a buttstock and an 18" barrel, all put away in a nice little case, and would never have any intention of using the buttstock with the 12" barrel, I am still in violation of the law because i have everything available in close proximity to create an NFA short rifle?

All this tells me is that if I have a receiver that takes a stock I better not have a barrel less than 16" in my immediate posession/location/control, and that only if the reciever adds 10"...

What, I don't even...

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote