Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 1911's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted
Does anybody have any hands on experience with a S&W 1911. I've been looking at one and has all the features I'm looking for and the price isn't too bad. The particular model is the SW1911PD Tactical Rail Series. I have always had very good experiences with S&W revolvers but have zero knowledge of their 1911s. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
haven't handled them to much, but what little i have done left very positive impressions

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have owned a S&W 1911 for several years and it has been very reliable and accurate. I have made no modifications to it all, unlike my other two 1911s, which benefited from some high end gunsmithing. If it is pre-owned I would ask the owner if he had any ejection or extraction problems. Also, shoot it first and check spent brass for any unusual markings on the case head.

It is the gun I shoot most at the range, and the finish shows the wear from a Kydex holster, like any blued finish. If I were to buy another I'd probably go with the stainless steel model, which just came out.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a SW1911PD w/o the rail and it has run great. I have used it in a defensive handgun training course firing nearly 1000 rds. in a day and had no gun related malfunctions. After changing out the sights, I may make it one of my backup carry guns (the full-sized M&P .45 is my main gun).

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
I just did a purchase test and eval for a local PD and I am impressed. The external extractor was no issue and the fit and finish were better than the last sample I handled two years ago

Chuck

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I bought it and 200 rounds down the barrel so far. Everything looks and feels good with it. I'm very happy with the pistol so far.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the adj. sight s.s. model and have had no functioning problems. I haven't gotten the accuracy I'd like but my expectations are high. Numerous loads with several powders and the RCBS 185 gr. SWC bullet give me groups around 2" - 2 1/5". I'm looking for groups in the 1" - 1 1/2" area. I'm going to have a match bushing installed to tighten up the front end of the bbl. and install a Group Gripper to tighten up the back end. The trigger pull from the factory was around 4 1/2# and I had it lightened to 3#. The Smith is a nice gun. If I would buy another it would probably be a Kimber since I can't afford a custom.

Posts: 4 | Location: Orrville, OH | Registered: 24 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shooterz:
I have the adj. sight s.s. model and have had no functioning problems. I haven't gotten the accuracy I'd like but my expectations are high. Numerous loads with several powders and the RCBS 185 gr. SWC bullet give me groups around 2" - 2 1/5". I'm looking for groups in the 1" - 1 1/2" area. I'm going to have a match bushing installed to tighten up the front end of the bbl. and install a Group Gripper to tighten up the back end. The trigger pull from the factory was around 4 1/2# and I had it lightened to 3#. The Smith is a nice gun. If I would buy another it would probably be a Kimber since I can't afford a custom.

I would bet money your gun is mechanicaly better than a group gripper could help.

Try a 200 grn bullet as well.

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot mine the other day for the first time. It is my first 1911 and I fired 100 rounds of the winchester 230 grain white box ammo. I had 2 ftf, the primer was hit but only a small indentation, I cocked the hammer and boom it went. I fired 16 rounds at 15 yards, 14 of the rounds hit the head with one giving it a earring in the right side of the head and 1 miss. Not bad I was impressed with the accuracy for 15 yards. It will shoot better than I can. I am definitely hooked!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had two of them for the past 4 years. Both were great pistols and I was very happy with them. I still have my Performance Center, and had a Commander length PD. I used it for concealed carry, but it was a bit bulky so I sold it and went to a Kahr PM40. Now I'm considering selling the Kahr and going with one of the sub compact S&W 1911's

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote