New
Find
Notify
Tools

S & W 642 Air weight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with one of these in 38SP? It would be used for CCW and by my wife to learn to shoot with something bigger than a .22

I like the light weight for a pocket gun, but am unsure about recoil. Do shooting gloves help?

Any advice is appreciated.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had one for a number of years. Recoil isn't bad at all even with +P loads for defense. The way to keep it from hurting you is to have a high hold with the web of your shooting hand all the up on the "hump" of the grip frame. This will feel strange for a while until you've gotten the hang of it. Teach her how shoot with 148 gr wadcutters. Some women seem to be bothered by the muzzle blast even from wadcutters. Just take it nice and slow. BTW, is this a new model 642?

BTW, you don't need shooting gloves to shoot the 642 even with +P's.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I don't have one yet. I was just about to order one, but had second thoughts aobut the light weight.

I was planning to load the 147g wadcutters for practice (starting load at first).

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aluminum frame guns are no problem. It's the Titanium frames that recoil very badly.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.