THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    "new "Ruger Security Six: feedback?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"new "Ruger Security Six: feedback?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a "new" used pistol coming my way. It's a Ruger Security Six, stainless, with a 4 inch heavy barrel (357 mag). It is a later model with the more upright grip.

Anyone have any feedback on the Security Six?

Any recommended loads? I was thinking of a ~150ish grain cast bullet (Lyman 357446? no gas check,) or 140 grain jacketed to start. Not looking for max loads.

It just seems like a solid pistol, not too big and not too small in the hand, and feels good (comes with Pachmayer "gripper" grips). Good to take on a walk, and not carry too much weight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the toughest revolvers made for the size and caliber. I have one just like it I carried on the job for years before we went simi auto.

They are a great pistol to bad ruger stopped making them. One can clean up the trigger but it well never be great like a colt or a smith but it well out last them both.

Enjoy it.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter,
my speed six's trigger gives up nothing to a colt or smith. In fact, it is quite easy to tune the Ruger with the usual techniques.

Mine is surprisingly accurate, but Ruger quality did and still does vary, so you no telling how yours will shoot.

Pick a load out of a manual. The Security Six will easily handle full house 357 loads.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wiish that ... hadn't stole my Stainless Security Six. It is as strong as the old "N" frame model 27 S&W.
I had a 2 3/4 inch and my load of 8.0 grains of UNIQUE shot dead on at 85 yards.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
catboat: You will be very pleased. The Security Six is a fine revolver. Solid and strong. For an accuracy load with the 140 gr. Remington SJHP @ around 1200 FPS, try 11.2 grs of Accurate #7. Its a one holer! Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I used to have a 2 3/4" that I regret ever selling. It was quite accurate & built like a tank. CRYBABY

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 357 4 inch SS Security Six with adj sights in 1976 used it for pistol shoots with our LE group at the USMC AGCTC in 29 Palms & with the elks pistol team,so easy to take apart and clean and accurate.I loaded 110 & 125gr jhp bullets so they performed like pocket rockets and 38 wadcutter target ammo wish I'd never traded it off loved to carry it for protection,hunting and backpacking.