THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Accuracy Question-Ruger Security Six 357

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy Question-Ruger Security Six 357
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With the proper handloads, what kind of accuracy can I expect with a 6" barrel, factory iron sights and off of sandbags at 100yrds. If you have any specific loads, I would be glad to hear that also.

Posts: 98 | Location: Eagle, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own several securiy sixs with good loads 6 inch groups should be doable if you can do your part.

I won many police revolver matchs with mine back in the day when I carried one for work.

I carried a six inch back packing loaded with hard cast 160gr swc's at 1300 fps for years.

Now carry my Ti 41 just because of weight.

I really like the security six to bad ruger stop making them.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks p dog. I carry mine loaded with 180 gr hard cast in front of 12 gr of 2400 as my sidearm when hunting or just trekking. I don't know the speed but it has authority!

Posts: 98 | Location: Eagle, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Security Six 6" blue years ago and put it up to play with. Forgot I had it and bought a 6" blue GP100 last year. Got the two out and looked them over. The Six is much smoother feeling.

Posts: 2668 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a security six in PPC competition back in the 70's. I think that 6" groups at 100 yards are possible, maybe even 5", but would take a lot of load development and practice in order to achieve groups of this size on a consistent basis. IMHO 7 or 8" groups would be excellent.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super, I have two, one 4" stainless, the other 6" blued. The 6" is a real shooter. It will shoot 1 1/2" groups at 25 yards all day long. It's been a long time since I put it on paper at 100. I think it would do 6" at 100.

It likes 2400
CCI magnum primers.
Nosler 158gr hollow points.

I think my load is above what's listed in the modern manuals, so lets just say it shoots best close to max.....I just won't say on which side of max.....

I've tried alot of other bullets in it, but none will shoot as well as the Noslers.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote