THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Taurus tracker or ruger red hawk

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taurus tracker or ruger red hawk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Whats the skinny on Taurus revolvers ? I did a search to check taurus out. What kind of quality/smoothnes of action and trigger are they etc? Are rugers stonger etc? T

What about the lighter wieght tracker and strength?

I see a this taurus is 34 oz

This 44ss4 is 45 oz

Ruger is 47 oz

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found this. Shorter cylinder and only 5 rds

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Tracker44.htm

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I prefer the tracker myself.

My BIL has a 44 tracker and I have a titainium tracker 41 mag.

The trackers are nice and light.

I think they are great built guns. The recoil is not bad at all but it does recoil.

The only drawback I see with the Taurus tracker is the short cylinder. If you only shoot factory stuff with shorter overall lentghs there is no concern.

I do load down a bit for my tracker in the 4" 41 mag I load a 293 grain bullet to 1075. I loaded this bullet to 1275 in a 4 5/8 blackhawk. I seat this bullet much deeper for the tracker.

I would say the smoothness of my tracker is the same as a redhawk. Not as smooth as a smith.

I have a raging bull 454 that is as smooth as silk not sure if it ever was worked on though. Has the best trigger of any revolver I have shot.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on what one wants one for. If one is going to shoot a lot then the red hawk is the one. They are a very tough revolver and will last a life time.

If one is going to carry a lot and shoot little then then the Taurus is the way to go.

I own both A Ti Taurus for carry most of the time. I shoot the red hawk a lot more and with hotter loads. It did great on a TX pig this last week end.

I think rugers are a just a tougher gun over all.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RMiller what powder are u using in you 41 tracker I can barely break 1050 without sticking cases in mine with a 210 bullet trying 4 or 5 differant powders.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I am loading h110 with cci350 primers.

265 hardcast gascheck with 19 grains and the 293 hardcast with 17 grains.

In a blackhawk I used to have I loaded with same bullets 2 more grains of powder.

I have no desire to push farther as I feel these loads are actually a good 1-1.5 grains from max. The recoil is about the same a factory load.

The only factory loads I have shot in mine are the winchester platinum tip 240 grain at 1135 fps and the federal castcore hunting load 250 grain at 1050 fps. The factory velocity for the federal says 1250 fps from the box I have. My gun give 200fps less.

I have had my tracker for two years and have shot 200+ rounds from it. It is like new. I do not doubt this revolver would last a lifetime.

The load I plink with is with universal clays I cant remember the charge but it was getting 1050 or so with a 210 semi waddcutter.

I bought my pistol for fishing and I do take it while bowhunting. It is my backup pistol.

I shoot my 454 raging bull more than the tracker but the bull does not get out in the field much.

---------------------------------------

Besides I can always tie a brick to my tracker and pretend it is a redhawk rotflmo

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you are going to carry it more than shoot it, the Taurus will last you a lifetime. If you are going to shoot the poop out of it, get the Redhawk. I've actually worn out a RBH but I was shooting something like 300rds/mth of full power loads. Maybe someone that shoots a Taurus that much can tell you but I'm betting the Ruger lasts you longer.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well another vote for redhawk they are great guns only you need to do a little trigger work from box but it will last a lifetime

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote