Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I put some cheapo grips on both.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My newest project: it just so happens that 38 Super Mags will also hold and feed the spiffy 7,62x25mm rounds. Got a barrel ordered for one of mine.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
My newest project: it just so happens that 38 Super Mags will also hold and feed the spiffy 7,62x25mm rounds. Got a barrel ordered for one of mine.

Rich are you sure about that? 1911 magazines measure about 1 3/8 inch fore and aft while a Russian Tokarev magazine measures about 1 15/32 inch. The Tokarev cartridge overall length is longer then anything put into a 1911 magazine. The angles of the magazines are close too. Did you fill the whole 38 Super magazine?

I took a look at that idea and decided the 1911 magazine wasn't long enough. If you're talking about a different pistol then I apologize.

I did make a 30 Luger barrel for my 1911 and it's a sweet shooting round in that pistol. The 30 Luger kicks on the 7.62x25's heels pretty good too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pare-Ordnance doublestack. IIRC, the last Shotgun News has an ad in it for SARCO. They show a standard profile 1911 pistol barrel in the Tokarev chambering with a 12lb spring for $74.10 or so. I called to ask, and they said it was so. I have a call in to STI and they are checking for me about doing a barrel. The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions (Donnelly & Townsley) shows the OAL of the 7,62x25mm Tokarev at 1.35". I have a box of the Polish ammunition and half a dozen rounds mike from 1.366" to 1.368".

CDNN has used Para/STI mags in 38 Super for $20 in their latest catalog. I would like an STI in 38 Super, just onacounta because; so I am not out anything if it does not work. I did order the barrel, so we shall see. Ask me again in about ten days.

regards

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
Rich, that frame looks familiar! glad to see you got a gun out of it.

Idaho, that conversion has worked. If I recall correctly, the rounds will fit fine because of the angle they rest at. I also seem to recall that you cant quite load the mag full or seating the mags in the gun tends to be a problem. Oughtta be interesting.

CW

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered Para mags, it better work...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Para and STI double stack mags are different!

I have both ... and one does not fit the other.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
A newer AO in 38Super. My buddy bought this in the mid 90's. A tiny bit better then the 80's guns. This one has a trigger job, sights, beavertail grip safety

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice 1911.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In checking around on this a couple thing come up. One is the magazine. The consensus leans towards you can't fill the magazine. Apparently being a little longer OAL they bind up. One person even suggested using flat nosed bullets to give more clearance.

The other thing is many commented on having to open the ejection port up to clear extracting a loaded cartridge. That makes sense.

Other then those two things everything else looks good to go.

While I'm here have you ever played with the 38/45 conversion for the 45acp Model 1911? I have and it started back many many years ago. I've had lots of fun with the cartridge over the years. I have it on a tuned 1911 and it is unbelievably accurate. Have shot a few groundhogs with it also. There are a few tricks to it that weren't at first apparent when shooting the hot loads. It will cut donuts out of large pistol primers. The solutions were to use large rifle primers (not a good idea) and the other was to bush the firing pin hole for the smaller 38Super/9mm firing pin. Lots of work to that one. I've found sizing down 45 Win Mag cases the best for case supply.

Good luck on your project.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could be a moot point, Royal Tiger Imports is back-ordered over a million rounds. Paying S&B $220.00 per 500 rounds for reloadable stuff is too rich for my blood...

Yeah, I had one of the 38/45's for a couple years. IIRC I got it from Clark and had him fit it to a Series 70 Gold Cup. I had the same issues, and ended up buying a baggie of those primer pocket bushings from somewhere. Small Rifle primers worked just fine.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pare-Ordnance doublestack. IIRC, the last Shotgun News has an ad in it for SARCO. They show a standard profile 1911 pistol barrel in the Tokarev chambering with a 12lb spring for $74.10 or so. I called to ask, and they said it was so. I have a call in to STI and they are checking for me about doing a barrel. The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions (Donnelly & Townsley) shows the OAL of the 7,62x25mm Tokarev at 1.35". I have a box of the Polish ammunition and half a dozen rounds mike from 1.366" to 1.368".

CDNN has used Para/STI mags in 38 Super for $20 in their latest catalog. I would like an STI in 38 Super, just onacounta because; so I am not out anything if it does not work. I did order the barrel, so we shall see. Ask me again in about ten days.

regards

Rich,

Have you done this conversion yet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, it got sidetracked with the bad news about the ammunition being unavailable for a couple months.

I just finished an AR-pistol in 300 BLK. NOE is offering a bullet mould for a 240gr flat nose spitzer bullet. Think 240gr cast bullet, at 1060fps. Unmodified 30 round AR magazines...

How fast can you say BANG! thirty times?

The Tokarev Para is going to be a couple months down the road.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope, it got sidetracked with the bad news about the ammunition being unavailable for a couple months.

I just finished an AR-pistol in 300 BLK. NOE is offering a bullet mould for a 240gr flat nose spitzer bullet. Think 240gr cast bullet, at 1060fps. Unmodified 30 round AR magazines...

How fast can you say BANG! thirty times?

The Tokarev Para is going to be a couple months down the road.

Rich

Pretty fast with the 30 shot KelTec 22 mag rimfire pistol!!!