New
Find
Notify
Tools

K frame durability
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This goes along with my 686 (L frame) post. In my shopping I have come across a 4" M66 stainless K-frame S&W. I’ve looked around on the web and there seems to be conflicting accounts on these revolvers and the use of 357 magnum ammunition. Has anyone actually had problems with a model 19, 65 or 66? I just want to know what I’d be buying. It is kind of odd the company dropped the K frame, but who has any idea why companies do anything with their product line. Roll Eyes It sure feels good in the hand.

Posts: 967 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 28 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When the K frame was first used for the 357 it was the practice of police to train with 38 specials and carry 357s. So the gun was designed for 90% 38 and 10% 357. When certain shootouts showed this practice was not good they started to use 100% 357 and had problems.If you want a K frame to last use the 90% 38/10 % 357 practice or you could use 38 +P 100% .

One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
MMS: The problems that have occured with the extended use of full pressure magnum loads have been some splits in the forcing cone with the model 19. The stainless model 66 is more durable and has not had the same problem, as far as factory ammo. Handload data takes the .357 Magnum into a different realm compared to factory loads. More specifically, there is a flat cut on the bottom of the forcing cone with the 19/66 for clearance of the crane. The L-Frame omitted the flat cut with its larger frame, but I wouldn't have a concern with the 66 unless you're planning to shoot a heavy dose of full power handloads. This is now a very sought after revolver on the used market. I'd have no problem buying it. Even in this generation of autoloader dominance, there is no better combat handgun than a model 66! Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 66, short bbl. fed a steady dose of handloads, max. loaded mags. Target and "plinking" -- lotsa ammo. Traded it in on a Mod. 60 J-Frame snub, which I use for carry and rarely shoot.

In the trade, the dealer who is "fussy" about condition, noted the 66 was in good shape, not "loose" or "worn."

66 is a nice "combat gun" but I'm really liking the Smith 629, 4" bbl. -- 240 gr. SWC Lazer Cast lead, and you can load up/down. The bullet is large diameter coming out of the muzzle.

But mostly I just like it because it's big and feels like it's "up to the job." -- "house gun" and "truck gun" in the side arm class.