New
Find
Notify
Tools

40vs45 for IPSC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys, i am thinking of a new gun for IPSC comps that we run over on this side of the pond. at the moment i use a CZ 85 in 9mm, but i now want a major caliber gun- i have been looking at the CZ IPSC (or TS) in 40cal. i can get 1 for about £700 but I was offered a Para P14 ltd 45 last nite for £650. So what do yous think? what is cheaper or easier to reload 40 or 45?which do yous think is the better gun?

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 40 is going to recoil less thus you're on back on target quicker. also if the gun is comped. the higher pressure round makes the comp work better. the para 14 is a great gun, but large and heavy, I can't remember very many uspsa shooters using them. most of these guys are using either 40's or 38 supers

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you realize that you can buy a 40 slide and barrel for the 9mm CZ? Cheap way to go.

Last time I was out to the line at an IPSC match, the 40 S&W was the most common caliber for major limited. Often loaded with 220 grain case bullets in a gun based on a 1911. Recoil is very managable and cycle time better than a .45 acp.

I have one of those built on a Para.

I also have and shoot the CZ in 9x19, 9x21, and 40. Also is a fine gun. They are a little harder on parts. The slide stop is commonly replaced with a stout alloy pin as it has a tendency to break. Have seen some broken firing pins. Service life has been fine and spare new match quality barrels are available from several vendors. Has good support for the chamber.

40 is not that much easier to shoot than .45 acp ... but gives a little edge to the already competitive.

Buy what you can afford and what fits best. Then go wear it out practicing! That's the main key to the game anyway. Even the gifted practice a LOT.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
308 The CZ is a very good gun, we have a couple of the new IPSC's in use at our club and have tried one. I used a Para converted to .40 for several years before moving on to an STI.

1) Does the CZ fit you? I carried an issue CZ 75 off and on, but always switched to my browning when allowed to do so because it fitted my hand better. The Para is very easy to change the grip angle, trigger length etc and make it fit. A CZ comes as is.

2) How serious do you wish to get? The CZ is a competitive "standard gun" as it comes. The Para could stand alot of tweeking- but once worked, the para is the better gun - but not in .45

3) What is your brass supply like? Here in africa .45 is alot easier to get than .40, and the cases are much easier to find!

4) loaded to the same power factor, both have the same total recoil, but as the .40 is a high presure round and loaded to max to make major it has a quicker or sharper recoil- hence the guys loading 220grn bullets in .40 to change the recoil charicteristics to as close to .45 as possible. In a comped gun, 165grn .40 os the way to go.

In brief, my parar got-
1) A bull barrel (Schumann Infinity)
2) The dust cover built up to full length
3) An internal spring co recoil reducer
4) A trigger job
5) worked mags- 19+1 in standard gun

in .45 if you install a bomar sight, add a +1 shoe and change the springs you can get 16 in the mag. A bull barrel is a waste of time in .45 but building up the dust cover and putting in some form of mercury or spring based recoil reducer is essential.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys for your thoughts. My CZ fits me well and I have been compeating with it for 3 years now. I love the gun and will not be changing it(in my opinion it is 1 of the most relieable 9mm on the market) I just want a new toy and I shoot in the production/standard class, and it is only local comp's I do mostly in the summer when the deer season is closed. as for reloading I can get both 40 and 45 brass no problem

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey - if you're just looking for a new toy - you've got 2 hands get both of them Big Grin work for me Cool

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do you shoot? On the continent? Just wondering about the logistics of living in a nation that has banned handguns and still competing in IPSC comps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aussie I live in Northern Ireland were hand guns are still legal to own. We have always had stricker firearms laws that main land UK and ( I think we have the some of the thightest laws in the world!) because of this and that some people ie off duty/ retired police offices, solders etc are permented to carry Personal Pertection Weapons. So anyone hear how owns handguns and full bore rifles( very small numbers of us) are very privlegded indeed!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot local IPSC comp that are run in my club, there are 4 big inter club IPSC comps that are run for charity every year which around 80 shooters attend, I know some guys who go to the continent to shoot IPSC and can travel on a plane as long as the gun is in a locked box in the hod of the plane and are allowed 3kg of ammo in an other locked box.