New
Find
Notify
Tools

cataract lenses
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm getting pretty close to having my cataracts taken off. I';m told that there are new lenses out there that will actually adapt to distance like my eyes of 30 years ago did. If that's true it would let me go back to regular old pistol shooting again where i couls see the sights,read without glasses etc. Anyone know anything about this??

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
went to the eye doc today & found out these do exist and work well. i'll find out in a little over a month

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had mine done a few years back. Results were nothing short of amazing.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three weeks ago, had the worst of my two eyes repaired- incredible, I drive w/o glasses, even with my left(non-shooter) eye still cloudy. Can't wait to get the remaining eye fixed.

I used iron and aperture sights successfully for the first time in decades last week.

Crystal clear.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got mine done a month ago - amazing! If you have astigmatism, like I did, you may need toric IOLs to fix that - I do not think they make those in a multifocal lens, so you may still need a mild corrective set of specs for reading small print & other up close work. If you do not have astigmatism, there are multifocal lens implants that will in fact get you back both near & distance vision.
Both the toric and the multifocal implants are premium lenses, & carry an additional fee that is not covered by Medicare to both the surgeon and the surgery facility. Plain vanilla implants are covered completely, but will correct distance vision only. I have not tried my handguns since surgery, but I do well with my bow & sight pins - better than before the surgery.
Google cataract surgery & intraocular lens for more info, & good luck.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had both my eyes done two years ago. I had astigmatism and required toric lenses. There was an additional expense of a few hundred per lense. My distance vision is now 20/10 under a variety of lighting conditions, as it was when I was in my 20's. But the toric lenses do not allow for up close correction, and therefore I need cheaters of 1.50 magnification in order to read. I highly recommend having this done, presuming one is a viable candidate.
Best......TWL

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had mine done 2 years ago + am very pleased.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good news for those of us quietly approaching that benchmark in life! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow it worked - i had a lens called crystal implanted. it was supposed to focus from arms length to infinity. still need reading glasses for fine print. for the first time in 25 years or so i can see my pistol sights again. took the old k38 out and shot the hell out of the x ring at 50 yds. this is just great

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inner ocular lens replacement. I went from legally blind due to cataracts to 20/20 and that was in 1993. I have my left eye for distance and the other for reading. Success rate is 95%, or so they say. To go from blind to 20/20 for $3500 was the greatest return on investment I ever made. Now if I could only hold on target without shaking......

Posts: 1069 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote