New
Find
Notify
Tools

fire lapping?????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the pros and cons of fire lapping? I have heard that you will gain accuracy.I've also heard that it is detrimental to your barrel.Something about its like firing 10,000 rounds all at once. So which is it???

"If winning isn't important? WHY keep score..."

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Every one is a bit different from what I have been able to research. I have done it once to a rifle with a rough barrel. It helped a lot, both accuracy and cleaning. It works by removing metal from the inside of your bore, so it will enlarge your bore slightly. .0001-.0003" seems to be what most people measure before and after. My calipers were not able to measure a difference consistantly, but that level of resolution is very difficult to accurately measure with most hand tools.

My best advice is that it is a good thing to do in a last ditch effort to save an otherwise unacceptable barrel. There's lots of other things to try first.

What exactly are you hoping to gain?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CDH,
I was just looking to tighten up the groups from an OLD Iver Johnson 2nd model C.1905-1921 with a 5" bbl. in 32 S&W long.It shoots a five shot group some where in the 3"-5"range @ 25yds.I've tried just about all I can think of as far as cleaning solutions & techniques. I think it's soon to be a wall hanger,(probibly should be all ready due to its age).I was researcing ways to help it live a little bit longer and came across a confusing article on fire lapping.
I have to say , you should see some of the looks I have gotten at the range.comments as well ranging from,is that a homemade pistol to I cant believe it still shoots.So I would like to keep shooting it a while longer if for this reason alone.

"If winning isn't important? WHY keep score..."

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
#"-5" groups from that pistol is totally acceptable. Leave it alone & just go shooting. Are you shooting lead or jacketed? If lead, check your chamber throats. Switch to lead bullets & see if it tightens up.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think fire lapping will help an older firearm that has had many rounds down the tube. The bullets passing through the barrel should have already smoothed the bore of any machining marks left from manufacture.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote