Find
Notify
Tools

Bar Sto barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Peter,
I'll direct my question to you. What accuracy improvement did you see, what do they get for one? I would assume they would have to be fitted?
Thanks

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had (still do) a S&W 659. I was not happy with the accuracy and sent it off to BarSto. I spoke to Irv Sto personally on the phone before doing so. He fitted a new barrel, replacing the original barrel with a new barrel and bushing as I recollect. When I received it back I had a problem with it. I honestly cannot remember what it was. perhaps the accuracy wasn't what I wanted, or I had some feeding problems. In any case, he said send it back which I did. When I got it back there was a piece of cardboard with a 5 shot group on it, shot at 25 yards. About 1 1/2 inches. I still have it somewhere! I will find it and post a picture. This was many years ago.
Recently I bought a used Kimber Target 9mm in SS. It was NOT target accurate (ie. Bullseye), so I had a gunsmith friend fit a KKM match barrel. It shot a 10 shot 2" group at 50 yards from a Ransom rest. There is a separate thread which I created on this.
There is a lot more known nowadays about target accurate 9mm's. The main thing is knowing the twist rate. The other thing is that there are very good gunsmiths that specialize in Beretta 9mm match guns for the military. David Sams is one of these. I believe the twist of the KKM match (gunsmith fitted) barrel is 1:20. Some 9mm barrels are up to 1:32! So, once you know that the best match barrels are all the same twist, then a match load becomes simple! The Sams load is 6.2 grs of Power Pistol as I recollect. Google David Sams and you should find it.
Not sure what you were getting at with your question, but I tried to answer it. My experience with Bar Sto was many years ago.
The 659 is not a match gun. If I was going for a 45 and had a 1911 gun I would use a Kart match barrel, which I have on my Gold Cup.
There are also 'drop in" "match" barrels for Glocks, M&P's etc. The accuracy improvements will be limited to the rifling precision and the twist IMHO
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have a BarSto 357Sig for the 1911. Fitted it to the delta slide myself. I was impressed. I'll dig it out friday.

Rich

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the replies. My 5906 shoots groups around the size of a tennis ball or a bit smaller @ 25yds, I think i'll call it good enough, and it functions perfectly, I guess I was expecting a little better accuracy.
I just bought some Unique, thought i'd try around 6 gr. with a 115 gr HP and see if that tightens it up some. I shot that load in a model 39 that I had back in the day that shot pretty well, Thanks again for the input.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stepchild, find out the twist rate of the barrel first. 9 mm bullets start at 115 and go up to 147 grains. That is a big spread, and 115's may not shoot well with the twist in your gun.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
I found out that all S&W 9m/m guns have a 1-10 twist. This info came from Smiths Forums.
Also, Sierra's #5 manual shows their test pistol(Hi-Point) has a 1-10 twist as well, never heard of that brand before. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9mm is not known for accuracy. Many think this is because of the shape of the typical bullets.

Many years some testing was done and the most accurate bullet was a 124gr FPFMJ bullet, I think it was nicknamed the Airforce bullet.
At one point in time Hornady loaded it in their factory ammo. I do know it was accurate in the 9mm's I shot it in. It was very accurate in my H&K P7 PSP.

Also some people have reported good accuracy with some of the 147gr FMJ loads.

Remington did load a 9mm MATCH load with a 147gr MCTC bullet, not sure if they still do.

For strictly accuracy you might try reloading one of those bullets.

Especially a 124gr FP.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Point was a cheap 9mm! Not sure why it was their "test gun".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullet selection is important. I have had very good luck with Montana Gold and HAP bullets, with weights between 115 (Hornady XTP) and 124grs, shooting close to max loads (6.2 grs. Power Pistol).
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
I just bought 500 Remington 115gr.HP's so we'll see. Midway had these for around 70.00, don't remember exactly. JHP's for around plated price was right down my alley. There were 14 reviews and all but one was positive.
Thanks for the reply and info.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
The 9mm is not known for accuracy. Many think this is because of the shape of the typical bullets.

Many years some testing was done and the most accurate bullet was a 124gr FPFMJ bullet, I think it was nicknamed the Airforce bullet.
At one point in time Hornady loaded it in their factory ammo. I do know it was accurate in the 9mm's I shot it in. It was very accurate in my H&K P7 PSP.

Also some people have reported good accuracy with some of the 147gr FMJ loads.

Remington did load a 9mm MATCH load with a 147gr MCTC bullet, not sure if they still do.

For strictly accuracy you might try reloading one of those bullets.

Especially a 124gr FP.

In my Nosler manual, Massad Ayoob says the 9m/m is popular in Bianchi Cup. PPC and IDPA, favrored guns being Accurized 1911's or Performance Center S&W's
He also touched on Cor Bon 115gr @1350 which are their best sellers in 9m/m.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was shooting Bianchi most folks were shooting 38 Super's in 1911 format. Probably better on the plates at 25 yards, although most of the Bianchi shooters shot IPSC as well. Now, I don't know. Bianchi seems to be less popular nowadays. Don't know why as it was an intriguing format with the plates and mover. Without a power factor, there is no reason why the 9mm should not be popular as it is cheap to reload and shoot, and the formats mentioned do not place a premium on bullseye standard accuracy. Most guys I have seen at the local range seem to shoot 40's in IDPA though, and, I always associated PPC with revolvers.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stepchild2 I started a new thread on 9mm accuracy where I posted a picture of a target I just shot at 25 yards with the 659 and BarSto barrel.
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just like with a rifle - custom barrel will make a huge difference

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote