Find
Notify
Tools

Python Fair Market Value?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted
Time to move my 8" Python. .357, 90-95%, blue, Hogue grips plus a set of Leupold rings. Heck, I'll even include a Bianchi holster.

A web search shows "asking prices" all over the place...does anyone have a solid feel for "getting" prices? I'm not looking to get rich on this deal (or give it away either)...just looking for a number that'll allow both parties to hold their heads up!

Selling this one will have me down to one Python, and I haven't sold one in years. Recent experience is needed: anybody got any (semi) recent experience?

Lacking that, I'll entertain opinions!

Thanks,

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The grips, holster and rings add little value you have done the research pick a price that you think is reasonable and you would be happy with.

With out pictures some one else telling you what it is worth is worthless.

If you price it to high it well not sell if on the low end it well be gone shortly.

Depends how bad you need to get rid of it.

Posts: 19572 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, p dog has it right. Remember you are selling to a quite limited market ie. folks who must have a Python. To the others it will be way over priced, but if you must have a Python then ..... There, of course, will always be folks willing to steal it from you. If you have owned this for a while then I am sure you will come out ahead, how far ahead depends on how badly you need the money. Kind of like selling a house!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to two firearms auctions in the last year, there were 2 Pythons at one and 3 pythons at the other. If I recall correctly, one in a presentation case went around $2500.00. The others went around $2000 to $2200. They were all in the 90-95% range. Accessories such as you have should be worth a little extra.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The prices of "ordinary" pythons seemed to have backed off just a smidge lately. Assuming your description is accurate and there is ZERO damage due to scope mounting, etc. I would put your gun between $2200 and $2500 for a ready sale. Several which seemed in better shape have not gotten any bids on Gunbroker in the $2800 range.

Check prices here, but you'll have to understand the site: http://www.gunbroker.com/Revol...a=5000093&ff=6500003

Again, assuming your description is accurate, I would be in on the lower end of the above estimated prices.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
218Bee,
I saw a few Pythons this past weekend at a decent gun show. The highest was $4,200. for a NIB 6" nickel model. Several were $2,800.
Just to let you know. Don't sell it TOO cheap!
Brittman

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The highest was $4,200. for a NIB 6" nickel model. Several were $2,800.

One can ask anything one wants. The key is what they sell for. Check the GB link above and you will find that my valuation is spot on. There are at least 2 8 inch blue pythons in approx. the same condition, one at $2200 and one at $2300 that did not received ANY bids for several auctions. You'll also notice there are dozens of guns with higher starting prices that have not sold, nor have they received any bids.

Just so no one will think I'm trying to "steal" the gun (I already own a bunch of pythons), I hereby withdraw my purchase offer. I readily admit that I am not a top dollar buyer, but I also am damn fair in my dealings with everyone. Except for a .38 special, I don't think I own any 8 inch barreled versions, but if I really want one, I'll just buy one on GB.

I absolutely stand by my evaluation. That said, start it higher in here or on GB, one can always go down, difficult to go up.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay in replying...had to make a run down to MD Anderson for an annual cancer screen.

Thanks for the replies, especially the ones with numbers in them!

See, I was of the opinion that the low 2000s was about right...but I'd seen MANY advertised in the low-to-mid 3s. I knew that the "snake" business had gotten silly over time, but it appears that some folks are on the verge of needing professional help!

Thanks for the confirmation!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
There are 3 listed now on Texas Gun Trader starting at $2250.00 + up from there. I think they are overpriced myself,but the real value is what the market will bear,not the blue book price.That being said I have a 1926 Colt New Service w/ factory pearl grips in 45 LC that should bring $2500-$3000. But here again ,it depends on the market.Years ago I had a 1962 Cadillac convertible painted pink (it was not queer back then it was a pussy wagon).The point being that when trying to sell it along with anything else,you need to find a buyer with like interests + the money to do so.That is why I quit in the 80's building rifles of great calibre potential because if it was not a 270 or 06 you would just set on it.I loved the AI cals. but they would not sell.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote