Find
Notify
Tools

.357 Auto Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Pez
posted
while watching a video showing pics of different cartridges i saw a pic of a cartridge it said was called a .357 Auto Mag which was a big bottlenecked cartridge. seeing that pic was the first time i became aware of said cartridge and it only showed a pic with no info but the name. Does anyone have any knowledge they could share with me about this round? in the pic it was shown beside a .357 Maximum cartridge and from the size of the .357 Auto mag it looked like it might have around the same power level of the .357 Maximum. Thanks.

Posts: 229 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 09 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I belive the 357 auto mag was developed on the 44 auto mag case for the auto mag pistol and listed more vel then the standard 357 mag.

I think the 357 auto was only chambered in the auto mag pistol. But there could have been others.

Some reloading books list 357 auto mag reloading data.

Posts: 19415 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There is an AUTOMAG forum on the internet that has the info and the orginal builders and shooters on it. I want to build one on my Pachmayr Dominator action, as I really like it a lot. Brass is sometimes available from starline in the form of .44 Automag brass and can be made up with .357 AutoMag dies.

Posts: 9 | Location: Portland, Oregon | Registered: 28 September 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
AMT gun forum actually.

Posts: 9 | Location: Portland, Oregon | Registered: 28 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is a 44 Automag pistol case necked down to .357. See http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/a...=VNXGDGVYON&catid=68 for case dimensions. The only load they list is rather light.

Automag brass was made from .308 by cutting to length and then boring it out. CDM made loaded ammo and brass as well.

I believe Lee Jurras delivered pistols in that chambering. B&B Sales also built uppers in that chambering. Their chambers were a bit deeper than others and one had to be careful when loading the ammo to account for it.

I bought an original Automag Corp pistol in .44 AMP and then augmented it with a 10.5" .357 AMP upper. It began to cycle with 121 gr Lyman 356402 cast bullets at 2200 fps. Sounded like a rifle!

Is still in the safe, but has not been fired for years.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 44 "Auto Mag" is two words, not one. It was changed to one word "Automag" when the Automag II, III, IV, and V came out. Completely different guns.

Here's my .357 Auto Mag.

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote