Find
Notify
Tools

Using lasers for practice?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
I have a rail mounted laser on my new .45 and was wondering if it's an acceptable tool to see how much wobble I'm getting during dry firing? I know it's useless as a "Sight picture" tool 'cause I'm looking at the target. But If I break practice into "Trigger control" with the laser and "Sight Picture" without, Am I likely to develop bad habits? So far using the laser has really helped calm the point of aim during trigger pull.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Collins,
I will give you a phrase to ponder, "acceptable sight picture". It is "seeing what you need to see".

Practical shooting is ALL about acceptable sight picture. It will differ on stages and also on seperate arrays on the same stage. Sight woble on a full target at 7yards is really unimportant, sight woble on a no-shoot obscured partial at 15 yards is important. On a close full, you might only need a flash sight picture of the front sight on the target to get an A. On the harder shots you will probably need the classic sight picture to place the shots accurately.

I wouldn't worry to much about sight woble during dry fire. The lazer might get you looking at the target too much, that's a hard habit to break. Just see what you need to see. Shoot as fast as you can see the sights.

ETA:
You might look into a little trigger work to smooth it up. It's much easier to shoot a smooth pull.

------------------------------------
Add about 360 posts to the total. My username was wiped out with the last board update.

Posts: 273 | Location: Clarks Summit, Pa. | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just put one on a 22 auto it is great fun one the hip shoot out to 30 yards or so with no trouble hitting the target. works well when it is to dark to see the sites.

I see no advantage for practice.

It tens to make one lazy put the dot on squeeze the trigger watch the bullet hit the target.

A very fun tool and I could see it could be very usefull in some shooting situations.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote