New
Find
Notify
Tools

629 or Redhawk?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a little late to the fire, but I've owned a Redhawk and frankly prefer the S&W 629. It is a more refined and precise revolver in my view.
I had some problems with my Redhawk that never could be resolved by on of my favorite and competent gunsmiths.

I have the impression that the Redhawk, if tuned properly, is more stout and would last longer without wearing out than the 629, but that is just personal opinion.

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've had both. I like the 29 better if running full house loads all the time is not on the ticket. A smoothed out trigger job and you are good to go with accuracy a little bit better with the 29.

If I wanted to do a lot of hunting non dangerous game with the .44 I would look towards the Rugers in a Single action mode.

I gave my 629 (6" stainless) to my son who spends a lot of time hunting in Montana. It has a shoulder holster that he wears it in and says he wears it all the time when hunting in western Montana. He did have a meeting with a grizzly while bow hunting elk north of Yellowstone in Montana and said that while it scared him to death he did feel more comfortable with the 629 than with his bow. No incident just saw one that was too close!!!

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I have a very accurate 29 and some very accurate Smiths in .357, my experience has been that my Rugers are in general more accurate than the Smiths.

My .454 SRH is the most accurate handgun I own. Could be the long sight plane.

I like them both. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
rnovi, I'll bet 95% of all .44 magnums never have more than 100 rounds shot through them. Most of the people that I know that own them still have rounds left in the only box of ammo they ever bought.

Wow, I used to shoot 100rds in a day chasing jackrabbits in the desert at least once a month, wore out a RBH shooting met sil, but you aren't way off. Many that buy a 44mag never shoot it more than a box or two of ammo before retiring it to the safe. If I could only have one handgun, it would be a 4" M29 or M629 (early gen please), but a Redhawk would do. Reload for it & it's mice to moose & makes a good SD weapon as well w/ 250grLHP @ 900fps.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought two super blackhawks from a fellow who fire one shot through one of them put them back in the safe where they sat for 25 years before he sold them to me.

He thought a pair of 44,s was neat to own but he didn't take the time to learn about recoil.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I went with the Redhawk...... although its a 41 mag Wink

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the Ruger's, Redhawk, Super Blackhawk, and the S&W 29 and 629, only I like the 8 3/8 barrels.

My Rugers were customized and out shot the Smiths, but I love the "feel" of the Smiths.

Passed the Redhawks off to family, sold the Super B's to aquired more 8 3/8 Smiths! (older models, don't like the new ones PERIOD!)

Posts: 17552 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Hikerbum, that is a really nice looking rig. Why did you go with 41 mag instead of 44 mag?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I thought it was interesting that the International Revolver Championships this year had 230+ competitors - there was one Ruger, the rest were Smiths. The competitors claimed it was because of reliability. Makes sense to me.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought a Redhawk the first year they were out. Still have it. In that time it has averaged about 1000 rounds a year..you do the math. It has never had a reliability issue and has never been in the shop and still shoots real well. At my age my eyes are not as good as they once were and I still hit clay birds on the 100 yard berm with iron sights. It is an accurate and rugged pistol and you will pry it from my cold dead hands. The grip fits my hand better than the Smith as well. It has a REAL smooth action now but it really wasn't that bad to start with. It came to my shop when the fellow that bought it had fired 3 shots from it and it scared him so much he would not even unload it to bring it in for a trade. I have 180 dollars in that revolver. Pretty good deal

Posts: 147 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I recognize the op has likely long since made his purchase but this post is more in the vein of sharing experience.

I recently bought a Redhawk in 45 Colt. Nice handgun,as I get used to it is proving to be accurate. There is no doubt that the S&W is a little smoother initially and time will tell how durable the Ruger really is.

The Ruger tipped the scales for me because the grips fit my hand well and the 629 did not.

However if we are talking smoothness and accuracy I'll take my 44 magnum Anaconda any day over either. Very smooth, very fine feeling, very accurate.

The reason I bought the Redhawk was to stay practiced and not worry about wearing the Anaconda out as I shoot a couple of thousand rounds per year with it.

So far, so good on the Redhawk.

Posts: 23 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swampshooter is probably right. I however am not one of those. I've been shooitn my RSBH since 1987 and been reloading since then. I don't know how many rounds I've shot out of her. I think I bought 2 boxes before I started reloading. Shoot 240grn plinkers to 300grn hot loads, in both it and my 16" Winch. Trapper. Smith is probaly smoother but my Ruger is tough as hell and will take whatever I feed her. To each his own.
'

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wlbc:
I recognize the op has likely long since made his purchase but this post is more in the vein of sharing experience.

I recently bought a Redhawk in 45 Colt. Nice handgun,as I get used to it is proving to be accurate. There is no doubt that the S&W is a little smoother initially and time will tell how durable the Ruger really is.

The Ruger tipped the scales for me because the grips fit my hand well and the 629 did not.

However if we are talking smoothness and accuracy I'll take my 44 magnum Anaconda any day over either. Very smooth, very fine feeling, very accurate.

The reason I bought the Redhawk was to stay practiced and not worry about wearing the Anaconda out as I shoot a couple of thousand rounds per year with it.

So far, so good on the Redhawk.

The great thing about revolvers, they fit any hand just by changing grips. I would never buy a brand based on factory grips. I have a dozen+ diff rev, diff manuf, none wear factory grips. Big Grin

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote