New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boresighting a Revolver
 Login/Join

Picture of marquezlc
posted
I recently bought a S&W combat magnum and the previous owner had the sights set for 6 o'clock hold. I have always aimed center mass and really dont want to have to change point of aim for one weapon. Can the pistol be bore sighted using a laser boresighter? I just want to get as close as possible without chasing the zero all over the place. Does anyone have any advice on sighting in a revolver.

Posts: 50 | Location: Northern NM | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't need to do that at all. Get a pistol rest (MTM for example) or just a plain rest for the barrel, or if not, just the grip. Take 6 rounds of ammo. Fire 3 rounds using the hold you want. Be aware that a 6 o clock hold is very precise (more precise than a 3-9 o'clock hold). But if you want a center hold then center of what? Try something like this as a target (you can probably find it on the internet)

Hold the top of the front sight (and the top of the rear sight "leaves" on the line. Adjust sights!
Should not take more than 6 rounds. The combat magnum has fully adjustable sights. What range will you be sighting it? At 25 yards, the difference in the 6 o'clock and 3-9 o'clock holds should be about 3 inches
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bore sighting a handgun doesn't work to well because the gun is in recoil already. this is one of the reasons why heavier bullets strike a different impact point that lighter ones. like peter says, 6 rounds should do your sighting for you

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of marquezlc
posted Hide Post
It makes perfect sense now. Thank you both for the advice that is why I always ask here first. Thanks again

Posts: 50 | Location: Northern NM | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Move the rear sight up 3 clicks you'll be real close.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now why didn't I think of that?!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote