New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 19 upgrades
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a Glock 19 (Gen 2) on Auctionarms. With Maryland's 30 day waiting period in force, I have some time to think about upgrades for the 19. I have shot the 17 for a few thousand rounds, but have not shot the 19 yet....don't expect much difference. I'm considering sight upgrades first...maybe a ghost ring rear and Tritium front.

I'm wondering if anyone has changed to the 3.5 lb trigger and how they like it. I did not find the stock trigger a problem in the 17, but am seeking input from folks who use the 3.5 lb.

Also, is anyone using the rigid holsters and if so, how do you like them?

Feedback will be appreciated!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Considering all the people who unintentional discharge a clock I wouln't put a 3.5lb trigger on any duty or carry weapon. The 5lb one is light enough when the shit hits the fan. I have a 5lb on my 23 and it works just as well as the 5lb on my 22.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
I like the 3.5lb trigger. Just take time and practice with it and it wont be a problem. I would also put in a guide rod laser.

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, is anyone using the rigid holsters and if so, how do you like them?

I have a Fobus. I carry in an Uncle Mikes black nylon. Mine (G22) normally just goes to and from the truck...it spends very little time on my hip. Even when there, I think the rigid is too uncomfortable for long hikes in the woods.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My 19 has the light trigger added at a local gun show. All of my pistols ride in holsters made by Gregg Garrett and the fine folks at COMP-TAC.COM

I prefer the FBI slant in his models. Make riding in the car more comfortable.
In last years IDPA Finals the most widely used holster were made by COMP-TAC.COM

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen!!

The Comp-tac products are exactly what I was considering. I would like to be able to shoot IDPA and their holsters look nice.

I think one of my concerns is how easy is the draw? I'm used to using a pancake with a thumb strap or thumb break on the 1911 or M9. I guess some of it depends on how tight you adjust the tension on the holster.

Just as an aside, has anyone used the 9mm Ranier copper plated bullets in the Glock 19 and how did they work?

On the light trigger...how can you shoot yourself if you keep your finger off the trigger until on target?? my experience with the Model 17 is good with a stock trigger, but I gotta wonder how nice the lighter trigger would be on the Model 19?

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of glockmeister71
posted Hide Post
I always install the 3.5lb connector and extended slide release on every Glock I've owned.I really like both.I use the Fobus holsters alot,almost everyday.I honestly have to check to make sure the gun is still there sometimes.They are too stiff new,so I what I usually do is just work them back and forth where they need a lil' loosening while watching TV.It just takes prolly 15 minutes or so.I think they are a great buy for the price.I've worn them riding 4-wheelers alot and never had a gun come out.

Posts: 145 | Location: Knoxville,TN. | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a fobus a lot also a very handy holster. But when Iam doing something very hard like rock climbing ,riding the 4 wheeler ect or in a boat I tend to put a lanyard on my glock.
I have no desire to watch it fall down cliff drop into many feet of water or try and cover many miles of off road trail looking for it.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I bought the CQC and a Fobus...we'll see which I like best.

Last Friday, I shot a Glock G34 with a 1.5 lb trigger that was smooth as glass and effortless to boot. It belonged to a shooting coach at the Naval Academy who is also a Glock armorer. He won't do it for anyone else, but I gotta tell you, that gun would shoot just like you were "thinking" the shot off....I want one!!

I also shot a G17 with a 5 lb connector that was reworked and acutally broke at 4 lbs but felt like 2 lbs!! I need to figure out how this magic is done!!

Both guns had Bomar adjustable rear sight and a green dot fiber/tritium sight that seemed to pull the gun on target...gotta get me one them too!!

Can't wait for my G19 to be delivered....stupid ass 30 day waiting period!!

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lowrider 49-I also live on MD's Eastern Shore.Are you sure about that 30-day waiting period?It's been a couple years since I bought a handgun here but it was a 7-day wait then.I also own a Glock 34 and I love that pistol.My changes were a 3.5 connector and aftermarket sights,Tritium Novaks.Also,the Fobus is a great holster for the Glock.

Posts: 51 | Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore | Registered: 12 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DBR44,

Pull up the MSP web site..it's all there. Under Joe Currin a handgun is a treated like an assault weapon whatever that is. The 7 days applies to the background check time MSP has to approve/disapprove the purchase. If it is a controlled weapon you must wait 30 days before you can buy another.

If we can get rid of some of the liberals in control in Annapolis, maybe Bob E can change some of this BS and bring common sense to gun use and ownership in Maryland.

What kind of bike are you riding? I have a KDX 200 and my oldest son used to race at Easton on KDX 125. I pretty much ride my Harleys and a 1200 Bandit now.

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lowrider 49-I must have read your post wrong,I thought it said you had to wait 30 days.Anyway,there is a way around that 1 pistol or assault rifle a month glitch.You can register as a gun collector through the state and that allows you to buy as many as you can afford.I did it a few years ago but I have never taken advantage of it.I have an 06' CRF250R.Last year I had a 05' CRF450R.Those Hondas are great motocross bikes.I race in the Vet Class over 30.Unfortunately,I broke my ankle and my back a month ago so I won't be racing for a while.Not this year anyway.Since my accident,I've been thinking about hanging it up and getting a street bike.I don't know,there's just something undiscribable about launching your bike off the face of a jump and grabbing some BIG AIR!Enjoy your Glock.As far as I'm concerned,I think they are the best autopistol.And I've owned alot of differant ones.

Posts: 51 | Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore | Registered: 12 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DBR,

I have a C&R and have applied for the collector card but I'm still waiting for it too.

I picked up my Glock 35 today and shot it some with the .40 and 9mm barrels and the AA 22LR conversion and it did good. I still have a Glock 19 and a 22 waiting along with a Walther P22 and a Kel Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm...I gotta stop buying guns some day.

Sorry to hear of your accident. I'm getting too old to get too much air anymore which is why I pretty much stick to street bikes. Hope you heal quick!!

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as a point of interest in case anyone cares. I finally took possession of my G19, a G22 and a P22 after almost 2 months of waiting...hard to believe!!

Anyway, I have 3.5# Ghost Rocket connector, and extended slide lock and an extended slide release installed in the G19. I love it!!

The G22 is for #1 son to use use in IDPA. I installed the same as the G19 plus a set of Trigicon sights. Fine gun and it shoots really well too!!

The P22 broke a hammer spring after exactly 22 rounds down range. It's going back to S&W for an overhaul.

The Kel Tec Sub 2000 is also a fine purchase and a lot of fun with 31 round mags!!

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way people shoot themselves is that they end up pulling the trigger as they're drawing the gun.

Sounds stupid, I know. But the first thing that goes in a "stress/panic" situation is fine motor control. 3.5 lbs is not much on a double-action style trigger when the shit is hitting the fan.

I suppose it's only fair to note that I'm not real fond of the Glock trigger in the first place. I had a Glock 22 for about six weeks, and just couldn't warm up to it. It's not just the trigger. I don't care for the balance in a Glock, or the general ergonomics.

But it's the one I'd carry in a "duty" or "combat situation.