THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    colt 1911 70s series vs 80s series

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

colt 1911 70s series vs 80s series
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Of the two series which do you prefer to own or shoot and why? Just curious wanted to stir the pot.

Posts: 39 | Location: Southwest VA | Registered: 18 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
They say the Series 70 are easier to do a good trigger job, since there is no firing pin block. Clones like the Springfield Armory 1911A1 copy the Series 70 trigger group.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
70 series. No reason to change what Mr. Browning made. Other than the Para Ord double action, they copied his outline.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
like the others said--- 70's series

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, I prefer the Series 70.

However I just dryfired a Series 80 with all the "80" parts still in place...

For a carry gun the trigger is just fine.

And I started shooting Accurized 1911's in Bullseye Competition in 1966, so I know what a Great target trigger feels like... But I do not want one that light for a duty/carry gun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
Properly tuned, there is no difference in carry trigger jobs.
The Series 70 guns were of an overall better quality.

Early Series 80 stuff was spotty quality at best.
The latest stuff I have seen has been the equal of anything factory out there
Smiler

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most smiths seem to prefer the 70 series, but honestly, I've got several of both with trigger jobs and some of the 80s are better than some of the 70s. In other words, there isn't enough difference to really get excited over.

With careful shopping one can find 70 series Goldcups for well under $1000 and that is a real deal.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got an '80 series. Replaced everthing but the frame, grip and barrel. Used McComick and Wilson parts. Wilson grip safety, recoil spring, firing pin spring,firing pin, match barrel bushing. McCormick sear, hammer, sights. Shoots great.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh forgot Wilson 2 piece guide rod system.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote