THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Anyone here shoot a 9x21 making major?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here shoot a 9x21 making major?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am interesting in getting some load data.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

I load 9x21 to major ... loading info at this level is always to be taken with with GREAT caution! Loads for a comp'ed CZ racegun

WSR primers

Starline brass 6.3 gr #5 145 gr LRN 1,219.0 fps pf=176.8

Starline brass 6.1 gr WSF 145 gr LRN 1,251.9 fps pf=181.5

TF Brass 6.1 gr 3N37 145 gr LRN 1,240.6 fps pf=179.9

I was not happy with the light bullets at major velocities. Pressure was high. Be very, very careful approaching major with light jacket bullets. Should only be used in guns with fully ramped barrels. Be WARNED!!!

TF New Brass 7.9 gr 3N37 135 gr FMJ Length 1.180 Diameter at crimp 0.380" 1,314.2 fps pf=176.8

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I have just bought an EAA Witness Gold Team (comped gun) in 9x21. I am curious as to exactly why you went with the heavier bullets. I also note you are using the "older" major threshold of 170. Any lighter bullet loads that meet the newer threshold of 160?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Loads were developed for the 175 Major when that was the requirement. One really needed to load to 178 to make sure weather conditions didn't cause you to go just a bit slow.

The LRN loads were developed for practice because they were cheaper to shoot in volume than the lighter jacketed projectiles. My CZ racegun shot them very, very well.

I shot a lot of Super and actually prefer the 1911 based guns. I standardized on 135s because the 125s were very, very close to max in my opinion. As a result of helping Donnie with the first purchase of jacketed slugs for D&J, I ended up with a short sh*t pile of 135 grain bullets and I still use them in Super.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. I have a 38 Super in a (modified) Colt 1911 as well, but it is not a high capacity and while is has a comp. it is not scoped. I shoot 130gr, FMJ's out of it, using N350. Any leading with the LRN's?
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Had no problems with lead fouling in the 9x21 at all. Usual crap in the comp but nothing in the barrel.

Have used 124/5, 130 and 135 FMJs in the Super. Did find that the shape of the firing pin was important. Also found that Remington +P brass is much better than Winchester at the old major levels.

The new major is much easier on hardware Wink

Toyed with a single stack 40 S&W 1911 comped racegun with a ramped Nowlin barrel and a Colt Delta Elite slide when they were talking about a 40 caliber floor for major. Pistol was fitted with an EoTech. Built it with it with a shortened slide. Found that WSF with 135 gr Noslers was just magic. Ammo was loaded long ... just short of 10mm length so that 10mm mags could be used.

Could get over 1550 fps with that combination. 1350 fps was just toodling along ... easy on everything. Decided to hunt deer one year but could not find the scope mount for my M57 Smith so I used the .40 S&W comp gun. Hit a doe at abt 60 yards in the left front chest. Bullet detonated going through the front wall of the chest. Made jelly of everything above the diaphragm. Gave me a terrific respect for safety issues with the racegun. I can't even imagine the damage such a round could do in an accident scenario!

Be careful out there Big Grin

Mike

--------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, you were using 135 grain bullets in your 40? How was accuracy?
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 135 Nosler HPs were quite accurate in the 4 1/2" Nowlin barrel. Accurate enough to shoot 50 yard standards pretty well and kill a doe at 60 yards.

The .40 at 1350 fps was a little more violent than a Super at the same velocity, but not much. Comp works pretty well.

Mike

--------------