New
Find
Notify
Tools

Target loads for 40 S&W
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for some mild target-plinking lead bullet loads for my new Beretta Vertec 40. They don't have to develop a certain power rating, as my son and I will not be shooting matches. Nor do they have to cycle the action with the stock recoil spring. I have an assortment of lesser power Wolff springs to try. Have several brands of hardcast roundnose, and semi-wadcutter bullets in the 155 to 170 grain weight. And would like to try and use Winchester Super Target powder........
Thanks in advance for any and all replies. Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
6.4 grains of Ramshot True Blue under the LaserCast 170 gr. SWC, WSP, Win. case. It will take the center out of a 50' target. Comfortable at around 940 FPS from my CZ-75 B. Groups under 1". Ramshot Silhouette is an exceptional powder as well. I use them both. Silhouette with JHPs, but it will do well with cast bullets also. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
WST is my fav. powder for light loads in 9mm, 40s&w & 45acp. Try 4.8gr under the 170gr for about 900fps.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beretta96
posted Hide Post
I use Titegroup for all my pistols, clean burning, nice groups and a pound goes a long way.

I use 180gr rnfp hardcast bullets and keep the velocity around 1000 fps. for PPC matches.

Posts: 263 | Location: ontario, canada | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used only jacketed bullets in my 40s. Where are guys getting your cast bullets?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I make my own Peter, but there are many suppliers out making decent lead bullets for the 40/10mm. Here are a couple:
http://www.keadbullets.com/
http://gardnerscache.com/40_175_lswc.html

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will take a look.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote