Find
Notify
Tools

One more pistol-choices/help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I have bought and sold several handguns over the years, (being more into shotguns and rifles). I've had revolvers and pistols in 22LR, .380acp, 44Mag, and 45acp. The only guns I've kept are a S&W 422 and a 1911a1 and I love both. I was looking for a little advice on my next purchase so maybe I can get one I'll hang on to. I'm thinking a 9mm so that I can get ammo/cases cheap enough that when shooting in the winter (read, snow) I don't have to worry about loosing some cases to reload. I find myself wanting to find all my 45 cases and it kind of kills enjoyment in the shoot.

Anyway like I said I want some opinions on a few guns. I've used the Berreta 92 and Glock 17 and wasn't a big fan of either so my list now is down to:

1) Sig 226
2) CZ75 or 85
3) another 1911 only in 9mm
4) Browning Hi-power (but really on the fence for this one)

I want to add the XD to the list but here in Canada the price of an XD is twice what it would cost my US neighbours only 20 mins. away so I am just not going that way (rip off).

I use my pistols for falling plates and action pistol "Fun" matches at our range so I wan't controlability and natural grip like my 1911.

Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a 9mm fan even though I have a couple. I have a Beretta 92 and a CZ 75 Compact. The CZ is a nice pistol but heavy, which makes it nice for speed shooting. I do like its feel much better than the 92. High Powers are very nice 9mm. For most carry situations, I carry my Colt Officers .45.

Heck, if you are that close to the border, drive over to a gunshop and try a few different models on for fit and feel. To me this seems to make owning and keeping a pistol the main consideration.
Keith

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Actually that's just what I've done so far is handled the guns at the shop, Just hoping to get a little advice on these models from those who have used them more than I. In Canada, carrying is not even an option so it'll be a range queen. I have never been a big 9mm fan either since I got my 45acp, but I like how my friend can buy either ammo or cases for half what I pay so he doesn't spend much time searching in the grass and sand for his empties.

I did look at the CZ in a 40 cal and liked it too.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I love a properly setup BHP. Never been a fan of the Berreta or Glock, although I do have a G17. The 226 is a very nice pistol, accurate, reliable, good ergonomics. I prefer a smaller pistol for 9mm but if it's not being carried, nothing wrong w/ a service size 226 or USP for that matter. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
For "fun" shooting you should try out the CZ SP01 in 9mm. If you can get the IPSC "kit" which includes a different hammer and lightens the trigger pull you will have one fast shooting easy to handle pistol.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a CZ75 and have been using it for years.Its a good weapon.The other 9mm.I have is a sig. P226 and thats a good weapon to.

Posts: 55 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be a tough decision for the pistols you have mentioned. They are all nice pistols. I probably like the "feel" of my CZ75 better than most of my handguns. But another stipulation which may help you decide is if your .45 is a 1911 style it would be an asset to buy a 9mm in the same style so as to always be handling the same type gun. This helps as far as constant grip and feel when shooting. Not sure I said that right but I think you get the idea.
Keith

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont like 9mm.....However, If I had to have one it would be the Hi-Power....This is a classic amongst pistols!

Having said that...the CZ is a very good pistol and is by far the best value for the money.

Posts: 44 | Location: Key Biscayne, Fl | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I think now I'll go with the CZ where it has the DA/SA action and the 85 has ambi. safety. I liked to idea of a 1911 so basically I would be shooting the same gun in a different caliber. But I also like the idea of having an assortment of different guns, and a 1911 in a 9mm just sounds like a sin thumb

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
NB,
I had a browning hi-power which is a good gun except for the 1911 type notch sights, that and the magazine safety...
A local shop here has 3 Sig 225s and one 226 for $399, and that's what I'll probably go with. A friend has a walther P99 which was the only plastic gun I liked.

PS: I wish someone had a S&W 422 around here, I'd get one in a heartbeat...

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try IMI Jericho. They fit into most hands nicely. Wink
If you like light "plastic" frames then SW 99 is very nice. This is a fine, but underappreciated pistol.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a S&W M&P 9mm back in January. I have put over 600 rounds through it and have not cleaned it yet. Not one malfunction of any kind. I rate it as one of the best I have ever shot. Comes in 9mm and 40S&W with a 45 ACP on the way.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NBHunter:
a 1911 in a 9mm just sounds like a sin thumb

There are quite a few Colt Commanders in 9MM in France. Maybe they were made for the European market right from the beginning, I don't know.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are plenty good inexpensive ones out there. I looked at used S&W 66 .357Magnum with 4" barrel (same frame as Combat Magnum) for just over $300. Good candidate for 158gr .38+P lead semi-wadcutter HP load. Good balance weight and reliability.
Who shoots those ultra-light (12-14oz) .357Mags with 2" barrels. Man, they maust take a toll on ones wrist! Is the muzzle flash with .357 load 20 inches long?

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Well, I put this off long enough. I went to order a CZ85 yesterday and saw a picture of a 1911 two tone in 9MM with double stack magazine. Down payment and pistols on it's way. This was the route I knew I should take anyway. Keep the same gun, change the caliber. Now, who ofers extra magazines for a double stack 1911 9mm? I can get them from the dealer but I usually find them cheaper elswhere.