Find
Notify
Tools

desert eagle 50 ae????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
found 1 in a pawn shop in corpus today for $850....pretty much new....with a box... made the down payment, 'cause i didn't have enough cash on me to pay for it, but i'll have it out in a couple months.....how do they shoot???... ive looked in the archives, and havent seen much info .... anybody got any dies??? brass????... thanks..jim

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2840 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
Had one unported. Had the worse recoil I have ever shot and I use a 454 regularly. At 25 yards, I was able to manage a softball size group. Jams were about every 4 clips or so. A nice conversation piece and thats about it.

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're very lucky, it might be a functional and accurate gun. For the most part, they're 4"-6" guns at best. No doubt there are some that can get 2" groups at 25 yds, but not many. Best of luck with it.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not only can you shoot it, but after you're done it makes a great fence pole driver Big Grin

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either that or a great boat anchor for those light bass boats.

Lo do they call to me,

One of Us
Picture of Tony R
posted Hide Post
850 nis a good deal. paid a little over 1300 (thanks to tax). I love mine. Shoot it alot. The gun is a little spendy to shoot though. I found cheap brass on EBay and bullets on Midway. I have also had a few problems with jamming in the past. You are looking at about 50 bucks for spare mags. I have found them on EBay also. They are fun to shoot, but I think my 44 mag packs a bigger punch.

Posts: 75 | Location: vancouver wa. | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough crowd.

You either find people that love them, or hate them. $850 is a good price considering they sell for over 1k new.

I've owned a Mark I in .357 for 21yrs and have never had any problems with it. I also have a newer Mark XIX in 50AE with a .44mag barrel.

The Desert Eagle does have some quirks that need to be considered. First, its a gas operated semi auto shooting a magnum class cartridge and it won't tolerate anything less. Wimpy loads won't operate the action and you'll have fte's or ftf's.
Second, limpwristing is a no-no. The action can't function properly if you let it recoil back too much.
Third, it's no different than most semi's and generally when there's a problem it's associated with the magazine, provided the shooter can handle the weapon properly. The 50AE magazines were offered with two different types of followers. One was flat and the other was grooved. More often than not if one doesn't work, the other one will. After market mags are a hit and miss proposition so it's best to stick with factory ones. Pro Mags are the WORST. Stick with the metal base mags from the factory regardless of what the sellers advertises.
Fourth, do not palm the mag base plate or rest it on something when shooting, again it effects the action.

Finding an accurate one is not a guessing game either. Both of mine are accurate with the cartridges they're chambered in considering the type of weapon they're fired from. I don't expect target grade accuracy from them but they both perform admirably in the hunting field. In the mid 80's, and older gent named Allen Fulford narrowly missed winning the IHMSA shooting a stock 44mag Desert Eagle with a 14" barrel.
It's a big gun and you first have to understand how it operates before you can appreciate it. It may not be saying much for some of the shooters at my range but I've outshot a lot of revolver shooters with my Desert Eagles.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I respectfully have to disagree with most of what is posted here. The eagle is a wonderfully made firearm and built like a tank. They are actually one of the most accurate production pistols in my experience. Usually much more accurate than most revolvers. They fire from a fixed barrel with a rotating bolt like the M-16 uses except they have a gas piston. This is a large contributer to their accuracy. Because of their weight and recoil of the .50, many people have a hard time shooting them well.

"For the most part, they're 4"-6" guns at best. No doubt there are some that can get 2" groups at 25 yds"? bull I'm sure they have had a few lemons just like any production gun, but this is far from the norm. I have seen totally stock DE chew ragged one hole groups when scoped/rested.

As far as reliability goes, they do tend to jam, but this is almost always do to shooting "limp wristed" or without the elbows locked or flexed rigidly. I can make them jam over and over if I want, but if you go back to proper shooting form, they go bang everytime. Is this a design flaw? Mayby, but most autos will do this. The eagle just seems to have much less tolerance for shooting without a firm hold.

They are practical for nothing (especially in any caliber other than the .50), but are a real blast to shoot. Very well machined and accurate. Shoot them right and they will serve you well.

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm glad you like 'em. You can have'em all. At our range, we've seen several hundred of them critters in all calibers and each one shot all over the place. My buddy who owns a gun shop and I tested a few and never could get the right feel for them as they felt like 2X4's. Just between the two of us, we'd burn up around 10,000 rds of different calibers for different guns when checking them out for the store. We've shot everything under the sun so inexperience ain't where we're coming from. As I said, they make good boat anchors.

Lo do they call to me,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just make sure the anchor rope is long enuf, otherwise it'll pull the boat under Big Grin hammering

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a 44 dessert eagle for over 15 years I also bought a case of sampson ammo when i bought the gun this stuff works flawless but my gun was really fussy with reloads until i found the sampson brass was a couple thou shorter than any of the other brass i tried
now i never have a problem

Posts: 136 | Location: s.e. bc | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i got a box of samson ammo.... in about 3 months i'll have the gun paid for.....so a shooting report then....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2840 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote