New
Find
Notify
Tools

480 ruger, taurus or BFR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm buying a 480 Ruger revolver to go with my lever action in that caliber. I am having a hard time deciding whether to go with the Raging Bull 6 1/2 barrel, Raging Bull 8 3/8 barrel, or the Magnum Reasearch BFR 7 1/2 barrel.

I know the BFR is more expensive, but I like the look & single action more. Being able to shoot 475 linebaugh doesn't matter much to me, but it's a plus I guess.

This will be my first pistol and I'ld like an accurate, funcionable, huntable, fun pistol.

I can get the cheaper taurus now, or save a little more and get the BFR?

Any opinions are welcome eccept for suggestions on other calibers. Any experiences with either brand pistol would also be appreciated.
(are single actions harder to clean?)

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What little experience I've had with Raging Bulls has not impressed me. OTOH, I've never shot a BFR so you can take that with a pretty large grain of salt.

BUT, and the reason, I posted this, the local Gander Mountain (Texarkana, Tx) has a .480 Ruger BFR (new I think, but I didn't really pay that much attention so it could be used) on closeout for $530.00. I sqw it yesterday. Be aware if you call them, not everyone there has a clue.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the heads up. I'll see if they can transfer it here to MN. If it is new, thats a great deal.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the BFR thanks to your tip