New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Trooper Mark V - pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't owned a revolver in 20+ years but won't drag out my wallet to the tune of $800+ for a Python or Diamondback.
This one stayed on the local classifieds a bit too long for me to resist at a price that worked for me. It's 99++% with a couple of small marks to the grips but no blue wear.

I know this isn't in the same class as a Python or Diamondback, but these seem to be undervalued for what you get with a blue book value of $475 at 100% condition.

What would this gun go for in your market?

For those wishing to learn a bit about the Mark V here's a link, scroll down: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Trooper

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally if you are buying it as a collector piece then ignore my advice.

If as a shooting piece then I hope this helps in your decision whether to take the profit quickly!

Some thirty years ago In owned a new 6" barrel Colt Trooper Mark III.

In single action mode I liked it. In double action it was not so good.

It has all the problems of the Colt frame seen even as long ago in the New Service series. That in rapid double action fire the gun "torques" in the hand.

To such an extent that by the fifth and sixth shots it often cannot be aimed or fired correctly as the grip has "turned" in the hand and the web of the hand is well up and over the top of the backstrap.

Also the coil springs are not nearly as good for double action as on the Python.

Sorry! However it is a nice looking piece and I did always also hanker after a nice 2" Colt Lawman but it wasn't ever to be.

Enjoy your freedom in the US to own such things and that you maybe did make the right choice in 1776!

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no functional need for it as a shooter. A bit single action plinking with 38 special loads will with the attendent cleaning/fondling will be all I do with it.
I paid $450 so not much of a profit to be had in flipping it. I'll shoot it and see how I feel about keeping it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
as a colt guy I will pipe in here. That pistol is worth almost 2x what you paid. Going rate is do to low production and the walnut grips. Now that being said the MKV is the same frame and action as the king cobra and anaconda. If it were mine I would put it away and find a mkIII or pre MK (my personal favorite) trooper to shoot the heck out of. The 60s troopers do not bring a premium but are the same action as the pythons.
Great buy!

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. If this one will have value to collectors I may never shoot it. I've got other guns to shoot.

quote:
Originally posted by idahoelk101:
as a colt guy I will pipe in here. That pistol is worth almost 2x what you paid. Going rate is do to low production and the walnut grips. Now that being said the MKV is the same frame and action as the king cobra and anaconda. If it were mine I would put it away and find a mkIII or pre MK (my personal favorite) trooper to shoot the heck out of. The 60s troopers do not bring a premium but are the same action as the pythons.
Great buy!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It makes for an expensive looky-see. Just shoot and enjoy the darn thing. Leave the collecting to the old stuffy guys that never get to fully enjoy what they got....they just make their kids happy when the "collection" goes to the pawnbroker when their gone. Very sad really. I refuse to own a gun I can't shoot due to collectible value.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The boss was in town this week and I took him shooting - first time he'd ever shot handguns. We ran a box of 38 specials through this one and he liked it best of the bunch. He liked the "ritual" of loading/unloading.

What's in my sights is a 4" Python in nice shooter condition. When I find one this one will go down the road.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Colt Trooper bought 30+ yeras ago in .22lr was a major let down. The gun did not allow for clearance for the rim. And did not revolve well just forced the shooter to stress parts. After sending the gun back for repairs it became a talking point game with Colt through the dealer I bought from. Sold the gun, and have not bought Colt again. The S&W resessed the chambers and had 0 problems. JM 2 CENTS

Posts: 2668 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to have one of those, a 4" 357 Mag.
It was very accurate.
I still have a set of Herretts Custom Shooting Star stocks for it, in smooth finish.

Let me know if you want them, $55.00 shipped.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned an 8" in 22lr. After a tune up/trigger job, it shot as well as my old Diamondback for half the price.

Shoulda never let that one get out of the safe...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i went thru the SPAG academy in lubbock with 4" blue trouper mk 3... our instructor was from littlefield and had a 2" s&w 66...evey time we shot a double action excercise that involved reloading (with speedloaders) my colt seemed to lock up on about the 9-10 shot... i finished that course and qualified with the instructor's smith...the colt was accurate and in single action, it shot very well... never trusted my life enough to carry it, so i wnt to the 1911's Wink

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2840 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote