Find
Notify
Tools

Non-formal club matches?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
Does anyones gun club have "informal" shooting matches? What I mean are non IPSC, Steel Chalange, or IDPA.

I know some places have bowling pin matches and such. The reason I ask is that there are a lot of members in our club who only do a bit of target shooting and leave it at that. They don't want to be bothered to qualify for IPSC or IDPA and feel prety intimidated by good shooters with custom rigs. I want to put together some compedative action shooting where you can use what you have for a hand gun without major/minor classes. Pretty much just to have fun and get some club members more active.

I have a collection of steel targets including regular and mini peper poppers , static plates on stands and some falling plates. Right now because of the snow and such the shooting will be done from one location, engaging 4-10 targets at different ranges and angles. Come spring I plan to make it more of a course where the shooter fires from 2-3 positions start to finnish with reloading required. About one saturday a month I'd like to hold one of these and keep it simple enough that shooters won't need more than say 50 rounds of ammo and it doesn't take all day to do.
I welcome any suggestions to how best to lay out courses, score and what not.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't know if i can help or not, but after being a club pres. for many moons i've found out a few items. 1st - 10% of the shooters are actually interested in competitive shooting. the rest are interested in having a good time. #2 - games shooters play are fairly shortlived. 2-8 year max. to keep shooters interested in games you must keep changing the games. #3 - if you want to institute a new game - have at it. #4 - most shooters are intimidated by the competitors. they don't feel they can keep up and are embarassed by it, so won't do it. #5 - there is a great lack of help when doing anything, everybody wants to shoot, but not help in getting anything set up to do it.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote