Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Favorite Brand of 1911's?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
You should be able to download it from the S&W website. Brownells has a number of exploded drawings as well, but I don't know if they have the S&W 1911 yet.

BTW, just finished polishing the feedramp on the P-345, as well as the sear and hammer hook. All rough edges are gone now. No creep and SA pull weight dropped about a half pound. Trigger stop is next up! Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Particle board or not, I LOVE my Kimber TLE/RLII. I did have to send it in for repair as the extractor was goofy, but after the repair it's working like a charm. I have bought handguns from many manufacturers, only Glock has never caused me to return a firearm for repair, so I don't hold that against Kimber.

posted Hide Post
Kimber Gold Match (Pre series II)

Posts: 14 | Location: WV | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to shoot (and love) a para P16 - until I got an STI

With cast bullets though, the SV infinity barrel I had fitted to my para generally gave better groups than the STI barrel.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trouthunter
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm old hat, but give me a Colt Series 70 and let me dress it up a little. One of the best shooting 1911's I have is one made by Remington Rand that shoots very well with no modifications at all.

Those new Kimbers are really something though and there is one on my wish list.

TH

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I've got two Kimbers, an Ultra Carry II, and Kimber Custom II. Both went right to the gunsmith, never fired, and were reworked with stiffer springs, modified to "lock over top dead center" so I can fire 45 Super out of em, and, after the UCII MIMM slide release broke, I ordered every forged part I needed from Ed Brown, and, what he didn't have, my gunsmith did. Result is two, very solid pistols that fire 45 Super or 45ACP, and, forged parts.

I use Wilson Combat mags, load em one round short.

Funny part is when I hear a noise, the first gun I go for is a SA 45 Seville Colt/Linebaugh, with 200 grain Corbons, at about 1250-1300.

For carry, I end up taking the lil gun, since most of the time, I can't figure out a rig that doesn't show too much with the Custom II.

My gunsmith used to work for Colt, and, he's a firm believer that the minimum size carry guns should be a Commander. I'm waiting to see how the S&W 1911 SC's play out, and, now that CZ has bought Dan Wesson, that opens up a whole new kettle of fish.

Problem is, I have a rule: NEVER SELL AN ACCURATE GUN, THAT WORKS. The UC II is very accurate, and, right now, I'd have to sell that, to buy another gun. Hence, the wait...

One wonderful thing about this time is new generation stuff is wonderful..

Finally, after all that's said and done, my favorite 45 of all time was a Detonics 45 Mark VI, that shot 45 Super ammo, though it wasn't called that back then, 200 grains at 1200 fps, for about 5 years, 3 times a week, for hours, and I shot it way more then I cleaned it.

So, needless to say, I'm also waiting to see how the new Detonics play out. The Mark VI magazines in particular are very expensive, but, what I had just worked.

My Mk VI out shot Colt Gold cups at the time, that's how accurate it was, and, that's why I now have the NEVER SELL AN ACCURATE GUN rule.

GS

one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
Springfield Armory!

A few months ago when I turned 21 I bought a basic Mil-Spec 1911 as my first handgun and have not had any problems.

About 850+ rounds so far.

It is my precious...

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
<mebow>
posted
My fav is the Kimber Super Match and the Kimber CDP Ulta II. Both excellent units.

mebow

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
hello - just found a site that has some 500 pics of 1911:

just go to the galery
http://forumcine.free.fr/

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
I own 3 kimbers and love every one.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am slowly building my pistol collection and the first gun I bought was the Colt Combat Target .45 ACP. History, nostalgia, heft. It shoots fine for me.

Posts: 7 | Location: Central NY USA | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a MP in Germany I was issued a Ithica. I liked that gun alot. I would go with a Colt for both investment, and shooting if I had to pick one of these fine handguns.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
I've got (at present) a S&W 1911 Sc, a Colt Combat Commander, and a SA loaded. All have been tweeked and all utterly reliable with more than 40,000 rounds sent down-range. I would like to try an Ed Brown or STI next.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess my favorite 1911 is the one I bought today at lunch, my first and only. Haven't even shot it yet, plan on figuring out how to disassemble and (hopefully) reassemble tonight.

It is a S&W1911PD and like Johan, I am eager to hear opinions regarding the Smiths, I understand they haven't been making 1911's for very long.

Regards,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
Kimber Stainless II Big Grin

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the differences between the Colt Series 70 and Series 80?

I have never really gotten a good answer to that question.

As to my favorite, it is a Colt Combat Commander.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
Jim: the biggest one, and also what caused the most complaints about the series 80 was the firing pin safety that works off the trigger, and everybody was catching the trigger paranoia bug about the same time. triggers that would typically achieve a four pound pull jumped to six pounds and higher in many cases. Colt wasn't the only guilty party, most of the others followed suit, except maybe SIG, but that's a DA story! Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanM:
I guess my favorite 1911 is the one I bought today at lunch, my first and only. Haven't even shot it yet, plan on figuring out how to disassemble and (hopefully) reassemble tonight.

It is a S&W1911PD and like Johan, I am eager to hear opinions regarding the Smiths, I understand they haven't been making 1911's for very long.

Regards,

Dan

beer clap clap clap beer

BAND OF 1911ers

ENJOY

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A bit late, but I'll comment.
RIA 1911 GI .45ACP
We have 2 Rock Island Armory 1911's and I love em both. Mine shoots awesome when I do my part. Hubby's had a hiccup but its fixed and shoots amazing. Both have ate everything we;ve fed em.
Great pistols for the money.

They are also both our regular carry guns.

Nic

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." -George Washington

NRA Lifetime Member

ΜOΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ

Come and get them...

Posts: 8 | Location: Commerce, GA | Registered: 22 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I may have posted previously on my SW1911. The first one I bought had a problem and was replaced free of charge by the importer in France. After a couple thousand rounds through it, I really like it the one I now have. It shoots semi-wadcutters with absolutely no feeding problems and is very accurate. I found one of those special loads which one comes across from time to time. Speer 185 grain Gold Dots, loaded to case overall length of 1.222", over 7.8 grains of VihtaVuori N340 in Sellier&Bellot brass gave me an average of 970 fps and best of all, one big hole at 15 meters. One of the most accurate pistol/cartridge combinations I have ever had in a 45 ACP. Also happens to be a very nice personal defense load, if you are interested in that sort of thing.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto the 1911A1. Mine is a parked "Frankenstein", made of GI parts picked from bins, each carefully selected by an armory tech for good fit and function. GI sights are not the "best" but they work and are really rugged. It's accurate and totally reliable!

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
Bought a Springfield Armory Mil Spec. First 1911 I have owned. Shot about 60 rnds. No problems and was very accurate at 15yds when I did my part. I am going to have some trigger work done to it. Any other recomendations?

Posts: 237 | Location: Ga. | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Les Baer Premier 2 and a Night Hawk Talon 2
Bob Tail commander length barrel and its a toss up as to which I like the best...different purposes...Looked at Kimber
but was totally unimpressed with them compared to the above. These are state of the art.

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Finally, after all that's said and done, my favorite 45 of all time was a Detonics 45 Mark VI, that shot 45 Super ammo, though it wasn't called that back then, 200 grains at 1200 fps, for about 5 years, 3 times a week, for hours, and I shot it way more then I cleaned it.

It was probably a .451 detonics magnum.

Posts: 5 | Location: Out in the Wild Wild West | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any and all 1911's that feed the humongous hollowpoints for defense and heavy SWC's for hunting. Right now, a couple of Colt's and SA's.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two Commanders, one a 70 and an 80. The 70 is a 70's era tuned gun with a Bar Sto barrel and bushing. The guy installed S&W sights on it. It's nickel and immaculate. Also has an extended slde release. I carry the 80, though. Has a SS Jarvis barrel and an action job by Dave Pruett of Miami, who sadly sold his business.

I don't notice the trigger safety after Dave tuned the pistol and carry it daily and shoot it every couple of weeks. I really like it, even though many complain about the Series 80. I guess it's just what you're used to.

The 80 works first time, every time and keeps on working. I use Wilson mags in both guns. They work well, also.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any comment on the performance center S&W 945, good or bad?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you have in mind for it. Is it for just targets, or do plan to use it for defense? The S&W 45's all seem to be of quality workmanship and shoot very well especially if you get one in a Performance Center pistol. The only S&W autos I dislike are the DA autos as I just can't stand any DA auto, but that's my personal picadillo.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
475 guy,

I planned on using it for target shooting and maybe self-defence for home use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
...Colt..everything else is just a Clone... thumb

My latest "Pony"...

My first .38 Super "Pony"...1969 GM

Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote