New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coonan 357 Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw one of those at a store today. First one I had ever seen (1911; 357 Mag). Really peaked my interest so came home and did some internet searches and read nothing but good things.
Might be a good hunting pistol (sort of heavy).
Anyone here have any experience with them?
This was a new gun. I thought they quit making these years ago..

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I bought one back in the mid 90's and it was a blast to shoot (pun intended). Accuracy was very good. I was living in Hawaii at the time and even under a bright noon time sun you could see a fireball about two feet out with 125 gr jhp's. Fit and finish was very good and I wish I had never traded it off.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As neat as they are when there are so many fine revolvers for rimmed pistol calibers.

I don't think I'll ever own one unless I find one at a very decent price.

But each to their own.

Posts: 19586 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an AMT pistol in 30 Carbine that I hoped to use for hunting, but, while it was impressive and always attracted an audience at the range, it was just not accurate enough for me.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have met the owner/designer, Dan Coonan.

The gun was originally something he was building, then he sold the company.

I am not quite sure how he got it back, but he is making them again. I have one of the original ones, but have seen the new ones.

Reasonably accurate, but not as good as the best revolvers. Does not do well with reduced power loads. It is rather heavy as well. Having said that, it would do well as a hunting pistol and follow up shots are pretty quick. Be aware the grip is LOONG.

If you are a died in the wool auto guy and you really want a .357, it is for you. Otherwise, you can get a .357 revolver for less with fewer issues with feeding.

Mine is more a range toy, and come to think of it, I haven't shot it in over 5 years or so.

Posts: 10999 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My intent was hunting gun or woods gun. Would only shoot heavy loads.
Actually thought it might be more practical than a 10 mm.
Problem with the 10 is that off the shelf ammo is little more than 40 S&W potent where most 357 is hot loaded.
We know you can acquire Buffalo bore, Underwood and Double Tap that really steps up the 10, but seldom in a local gun shop.
My hands are big enough for the grips and I do understand what you guys are saying.
I believe Winchester makes less expensive white box range ammo for the 357 as well.
I have a few 357 revolvers (19's and Pythons).

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eezridr, if you do not reload and like the 10mm (I do) then try Georgia Arms. Their ammo is loaded pretty hot. I reload, and I load the 10mm. The other problem with buying ammo is that I like a 200 grain bullet in the 10mm whereas most of the ammo for the 10mm uses the 180 grain bullet. In any case I love the 10mm!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote