New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolvers (10mm vs .41 Mag)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had in my head that 10mm was a semi-auto caliber. Now I'm hearing they make 10mm revolvers. How does a 0.39" revolver differ from a 0.41" revolver? Doesn't seem like there would be a market for both. I'm a 41 Mag fan, and was thinking of buying a 10mm semi-auto. I have no interest in a 10mm revolver.

Posts: 13859 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well SAAMI spec is actually .4005 so less than .01 of an inch and about 150-200 fps for comparable bullet weights in favor of the the 41 mag.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ruger makes all sorts of stupid guns; they make 9mm revolvers, too.

I presume they're made for people who have don't like magnum rounds or just prefer to use the same round in both types of handguns.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 10mm could be considered a .41 Mag Light. It can come close but it definitely is not a .41 Mag. OTOH, a Glock 10 will spit out 16 bullets in a hurry. I certainly wouldn't consider myself undergunned, appropriately loaded, with a 10 for anything in Texas.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 10mm is not a 41 mag. The 10mm ballistics are mor in line with a 357 mag. Although, with the heaviest loads I prefer the recoil from a 10 mm in an auto loader.

For the evidence of my position, if you look atthe full loaded boutique companies such as buffalo bore and underwood the 10mm does 1350 with 180 grain loads from 5 inch barrels. The 357 does 1400 FPS from 61/2 inch recovers (remember the cylinder gap).

The 41 mag from a 61/2 inch revolver from those same companies gets 1500 FPS for the same 180 grain bullet.

The 41 mag gets 1350 with 220 plus grain bullets (when I say plus I mean 265 grains) while the 10mm will get you to 1100 with the 220s.

I love the 10mm, but when folks talk about Norma loads, Norma loads were 1250 in 180 and 1200 in 200 grains respectfully. Great numbers but even federal loads 357 180 grain load that gets you there. Again, I prefer the recoil of a 5 inch 10mm than a Ruger black hawk in either real 357 or these 41 mag rounds.

Ruger made single action 10mm black hawk revolver with change out 40 sw cylinder. SW made a N frame 610 in 10mm and did not advise against the use of 40sw in the 610.

Those 610 run 1800 to 2000 on gunbroker. I have not priced a black hawk 10mm in a long time.

I hope this helps. To summarize, top end 10mm gets you top end 357 mag in auto platform. The 41 mag is another full step up.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be aware that 10mm Mag cartridges are very different from 10mm auto cartridges! I don't know what the ballistics are for 10Mag but the case length is nearly as long as the 41Mag. I think they tried to reinvent the wheel with this cartridge but it is still somewhat a free country. I have read about a guy that shortened 375Win cases and wilcatted a 10mm Rimmed Magnum that he has shot from a 12" barreled single shot handgun with a 200 grain bullet achieving 1545 ft/sec., but I think the 41Mag is capable of that and possibly more. My 41Mag Ruger Blackhawk with 6.5" barrel gets 1335 ft/sec with a 210 grain bullet and that is not pushing the envelope but is what I consider a full power hunting load.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Lucky is 100 percent right. The revolvers I identified are chambered for the 10mm auto round of Bren 10 fame as well as numbers for clarification:

Posts: 12022 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with .41 Magnum as a PRACTICAL revolver was there was no .41 Special LENGTH case. A Model 29 was quicker to speedload with .44 Special than a Model 57 with .41 Magnum. And that was what I found as an owner of both in the late 1970s. What the .41 Magnum needed wasn't the "Police Load" BUT the "Police Load" in a Special length case instead of a Magnum length case.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote