New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt SAA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the consensus on the quality of the currently produced SAA?

Saw a LNIB one at a shop today, blued/cc, composite grips, 5.5" 45LC, has box with all the papers. Fit and finish were very nice, CCs were outstanding.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
What do the new ones run pricewise these days?

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:

Not sure, never see one in a shop around here. This is preowned but looks like new. They have $1000 on it.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ohiosam:
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:

Not sure, never see one in a shop around here. This is preowned but looks like new. They have $1000 on it.

That's not bad, maybe you could get them to take about $900.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are better off purchasing a new USFA for that price. Colts quality don't even come close the the USFA SAA's. I have 4 USFA's with 3 of them being 44 Specials and one a .22 rimfire Plinker model. I sold all of my Colt SAA's and won't be buying any more. My latest 44 Special nickle SAA w/fire blue small parts and fancy 1-piece walnut grips is just awesome...ain't never been such a Colt SAA ever made. USFA nickle is the best, period. USFA CC and Dome blue SAA's really lay the smack- down on the Colts too. Don't mistake the USFA's entry level SAA with their premium model.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a newer Colt SAA .45, bought it new because I always wanted one. Fit+finish are excellent, blue and case are gorgeous, shooting is just ok. As it came the internals were rough, trigger very heavy. Worst of all the throats are huge, .456's +. Maybe when I win the lottery I will get a good smith to rechamber a.44 special cylinder, or build one from scratch, and do it right.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I stated...if you want it right, get a USFA and spare yourself the grief. Colt's just don't compare.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
Like I stated...if you want it right, get a USFA and spare yourself the grief. Colt's just don't compare.

I have to agree, the USFA guns are fantastic. My last Colt was a 3rd Gen New Frontier and it was a POS. No excuse for the lousy quality.