New
Find
Notify
Tools

Durability of LW commander
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know there are some guns that aren't ment to be shot a lot. Guns like airweight S&W revolvers. What about a light weight Colt combat commander? Can they stand up to, say, thousands of rounds of major power loads? I know of regular 1911's that have had 10's of thousands of major power reloads shot through them and they still work just fine.
Will these lightweight autos stretch or crack or otherwise fail due to regular use?

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I got mine used in 1997. I used it for IDPA and IPSC for about four years. I guess maybe 8000+ rounds? Shot the bejeezus out of it. Full power loads(225gr cast lead at 840fps). Retired it in 2001 to carry duty. Still run about 500 rounds a year through it. No cracks or surprises. Getting ready to use it in SS Provisional class for a few months until my XD45 is legal for Production class. I use shok buffs and keep a close eye on the frame.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I remember that in one of Chuck Taylor's books he mentions that he doesn't know of any inherent weakness in the LW frames, that they stand up as well as the steel frames.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
keep it lubed and stay away from a steady diet of +p and it will be still around when your greatgrandchilden are shooting it.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
I've got a LW Colt and an alloy frame SA that both have between 6000 to 7500 rounds through them with no ill effects. Most of this is commercial ball ammo plus Speer gold dot carry loads. I don't use buffers anymore since I've had a couple come apart after not alot of rounds. I really like the Commander/Champion sized 1911s as they seem to be a little faster and point better for me. I've got a friend with a S&W 1911Sc with 4 inch barrel he can't stop talking about. That'll probably be my next purchase.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max
I have a Colt LW Commander that I bought in 1972.

I have shot it several thousand times, and I am wearing it now.

It is still going strong and is still plenty accurate.

I would not recommend one for intensive competition, but they are the perfect carry gun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote