New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a New 9mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I traded my Beretta 92 9mm off for a new .357 a few weeks ago, and since then, I've started shooting pistols a lot more, and decided I need a new 9mm! I could get another Beretta, but I wasn't really crazy about it, no matter what I did that gun shot low for me, and to hit something I needed to cover it up with the sights, and being a trapshooter, that was too weird for me to be able to get used to. Anyway, what do you guys think is a good 9mm pistol? I don't want to get into competitions or anything, just want something that's a little cheaper to plink around with. I'd like to get one with adjustable sites just so I can adjust them if something happens like it did with the Beretta. Also, I'd like to spend around $500-$600, if possible. So what do you guys reccomend? Thanks in advance.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Springfield XD is a good pistol but I don't know if they have fully adjustable sights. Why not get an old S&W 59 or 659? There are some pretty good deals on those. Also, why a 9mm? My personal opinion is that the 40 S&W is a better round. I have several 9's BTW.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 75 in 9MM that out shoots anything put up against it. This may be the only accurate one they ever made, or may be typical, but everyone that has ever shot it steps back and says,"How much do you want for it?". I think I paid $425 new about 5-6 years ago.

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point Ole miss guy. I have a CZ 75 40B that shoots well.
peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

I was looking for something that I could get cheaper ammo for, I thought the 9mm was the best bet for me. I don't reload for pistols, so it's all going to be factory ammo and I'll probably end up buying some bulk ammo for it. Just want something I can take to the range and blow a couple of hundred rounds off and not hurt my pocket book too much. I even thought about a .22 (I have 2 of those that I can use), but right now I think something a little bigger would be more fun.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an xd9. Great pistol. Points very natural. Extremely reliable. This pistol will feed anything period. As far as sigths go for me three dot sights are useless. But the xd's sights are in a dovetail. There are aftermarket adjustable sights that go right in. I got a set of dawson precision fully adjustable fiberoptic. It will shot better than I can.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For an inexpensive pistol the CZ75 and its clones (Tanfolio and Witness) are terrific weapons that shoot well and are seriously strong.

If you intend to shoot one a lot and they fit your hand ... you can't go wrong with one.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My vote is the Browing Hi-power I recently purchased one and it is to me everything I need accurate and reliable.

posted Hide Post
I'd have to go with a Glock 17. It took me a while to get used to the grip, but after that the accuracy was great.

Posts: 7 | Location: ohio | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh man, go look at the S&W M&P9.

The M&P is what every plastic gun wanted to be.
Ergonomics are perfect.

I'd get one if I hadn't bought a 1911 instead Frowner

XDs work nice, but I think they're too blocky. Glocks are nice too, but I hate the grip angle.
Take a look at Sigs.
They're more expensive than poly guns, but I have a 228 and the ergos are great. I shoot it very well and it's eaten every type of ammo I've fed it without a single hiccup.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
question is alloy or synthetic frame; also if you look around you can find a ruger service six revolver in 9mm, fixed sights and 4"barrel. the bersa 9mm semi auto is a great deal for the price.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Major decisions have to be made...DA, SA, SA/DA etc. This will rule out an awful lot of guns!
Peter.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Look for a used S&W 5906 w/ adj. sights. Rugged as hell, accurate enough & affordable magazines readily available. You shoul dbe able to find like new ones for under $400.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin, if you are interested, I have a CZ75 Police (marked on slide) with the decocker and loaded chamber indicator that is not fired that I will sell you for $400 plus shipping.

I have a CZ75 in 40S&W and a Glock 19 so I just don't need this one, and I'd rather have a compact.

PM me if interested.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glock 19!

Posts: 27 | Location: Sanger, TEXAS | Registered: 30 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Not sure of your definition of 'new' - do you mean a 'new' gun or 'new' to you? I ask this because AIM Surplus has an interesting piece, a Star Model B 9mm Pistol. This is a WWII vintage pistol that looks and feels like a 1911A1 Colt but is a 9mm - and the price is right at $299.95.
Go to http://www.aimsurplus.com/ and have a look - might be what you need!

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one of those Star Model B pistols once. Damn fine shooting gun. It is one of the very few guns (along with the original HK91 that I sold for $1100) that I would like to have back. IIRC, it does not have the grip safety, which I didn't care for anyway.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Star B is pretty tempting, but I was looking at something that was 'new.' Actually I looked at a Springfield XD, and in a magazine I saw some conversions on them that looked really cool, I think I'm going to look into one of those. Thanks for everyone's help, though, when I get it, I'll post here and let you all know how I made out!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a real hard look at the S&W M&P 9mm. Best pistol I have ever owned. Does not have the 1911 trigger but it is reliable, light weight, large capacity, and a reasonable price. Lots of add on toys out there to play with.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 9mm, I've owned a Beretta 92, Browning High Power, and a Glock 17, which I still own. I've shot a Sig P226 some, a Ruger p89 a lot, and of all of those I still prefer the Glock. The Sig is probably the nicest and easiest to shoot well in SA mode, but a bit out of your price range. I would definately consider the Ruger - I found them to be very accurate and reliable. IMHO, the G17 is tough to beat - accurate, rubust, reliable. It's not pretty though.

Posts: 68 | Location: Dayton, OH USA | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Sudsy30
posted Hide Post
quote:
I traded my Beretta 92 9mm off for a new .357 a few weeks ago, and since then, I've started shooting pistols a lot more, and decided I need a new 9mm! I could get another Beretta, but I wasn't really crazy about it, no matter what I did that gun shot low for me, and to hit something

Funny...I have been having that same trouble... I was told by an ex-NYPD officer that I was wrapping my trigger finger too far around the trigger, and not applying the same pressure each time.....

So its practice practice practice.....

Posts: 15 | Location: Sunny Florida | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I haven't yet seen one but how are the Ruger SR9 pistols?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote