New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bought a Glock 20, what now?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Title should have read Glock 20, 10mm. I plan on carrying this pistol in bear country with either Buffalo Bore or Corbon ammo, but I'll need some less expensive practice rounds.
I will eventually put a Lone Wolf threaded barrel in it so I can use my Hybrid can on it.

I'll need dies, any suggestions from 10mm reloaders. I'll be loading on a Dillon 550b.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Georgia Arms sells some pretty good loaded ammo. It be pretty hot though. 40 S&W dies will do. Just adjust the belling die and the seating die appropriately. I use 200gr. bullets for the 10mm and 180 for the 40 S&W. Others may differ.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can buy some practice loads fairly cheap but be advised that almost all 10mm loads do not have higher MVs. Most of the cheaper loads are almost identical to .40 Smiths.

There are many loads out there, but one that has worked well for me is 11 gr Blue Dot with 180 gr Hornady XTPs that will run around 1300 fps out of 6 inch barrel.

If you're a caster (I'm not) I would consider getting a Lone Wolf barrel to shoot lead out of.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I've found Underwood 10MM to be more consistent and more accurate that either CorBon or BUffalo Bore (not that either are bad). A plus in my my G 40 MOS is the 180 and 200 gr hollow points shoot to the same point of impact. They have a plethora of weights and bullet styles including 200 and 220 hard cast loads for hunting. The 220 is rated at 1200 fps which makes it a hammer for an otherwise ordinary auto pistol.

I did buy a Wheaton barrel so I could shoot cast without worrying but I have yet to try any.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Don't have a 10mm, but I shoot Rem UMC 230g hardball bulk in my 45 Super for practice. I switch to Buffalo Bore for anything serious. Even that is pretty pricey for the 10mm

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4770 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't got around to loading for 10mm yet. I have two G20 3rd Gen. I tried lots of factory ammo across a chronograph, including the ones mentioned above. In my Glocks the most consistent is the 200gr Nosler loaded by DoubleTap. Not as fast as advertised, but tiny deviation per 100rnds.

Plastered a coyote a few weeks ago at 40yds offhand.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Nosler has 10 mm 200 gr JHPs on 24 hr sale. 250 ct box for $29.90. 300 boxes available. I ordered 2 and shipping was $12.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go buy a box of the cheapest ammo you can find.
Put 50 rounds thru your Glock.
Clean it and then buy Premium ammo if you will.

I have a M20SF, M35 long slide, M36 M43 and a M17 on the way in.

Glocks shoot.

I'm not fastidious when it comes to my Glocks. I've never had a Glock jam on factory ammo or my handloads.

If you need it for bear protection, he'll be close enough you don't have to aim. Just point and let loose with the one in the pipe and follow up with as many of his 15 friend as is necessary.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the platform, and my glock 21 gen 4 was as accurate as a production pistol could be, as soon as you developed good trigger habits.

I have a milt spark summer special II iwb holster for the glock 20/21, as well as a nice blade tech eclipse owb holster. I also have a double mag carriers by blade tech and milt sparks as well. I can set you up with a good deal for all carry situation!

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
swampshooter:

I forgot my manners.

Welcome to the 10mm clan!

Two after market mods I have done to both my G20s are 22lb spring with Tungsten guiderod and Ultimate Pyramid Trigger system. The Tungsten guiderod adds weight up front to help with muzzle flip. The trigger job is easy to do-just watch the videos a few times-available at glockstore.com. I have a set of Snake Eyes sights yet to be installed. Glockstore.com(despite the fact they are in commiefornia)is an awesome resource for after market parts. Always something on sale on Top Shot Tuesday if you subscribe to their email.

I have a 6" factory Glock hunting barrel, but so far the standard barrel has been more than adequate for 'Yotes and other vermin out to 35-40yds.

I prefer the 200gr Nosler HP as loaded by DoubleTap and buy them 500 at a time when they go on sale.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote