New
Find
Notify
Tools

possesion question Wash. dc
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going to be visiting some Civil War battlefields in the near future in VA. TX. and VA. have a reciprocal CG agreement. My wife wants to visit the Smithsonian Museum. What can I legally do with my handgun for the one day in Wash. D.C.?

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a million dollar question right now.

After the most recent court ruling it is really up in the air.

DC has a stay in place right now so the only thing and the most wise thing is not to carry it into the city.

If your staying out side the city motel safe ?

I sure wouldn't just leave in my room unlocked up.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only sure way to know is to call the Washington, DC Police headquarters, log the name of the person you talk to down, along with the date and time. They will tell you and then I would follow their advice.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I stayed at a hotel in Alexandria VA, left firearm at hotel in the safe, took the Metro from Alexandria straight to the station a couple of blocks from the Smithsonian. I think it cost $3 or something like that. I sure as hell would not take a firearm into the District. The Metro is cheap, parking your own car in DC is not.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip, we'll check out that Metro.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
swamp, if you have any interest in airplanes at all I highly recommend a trip out to the Air & Space Museum at Dulles Airport (Chantilly VA). The Air & Space Museum downtown is nice but the facility at Dulles is truly amazing. Want to see a SR-71 or a Space Shuttle? They have them and a jillion other airplanes.

http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/

The Metro does not go out there so you have to drive; parking is I think $12 but admission is free.

But for sure the way to get around DC itself is the Metro, driving in that city is no fun. I spent nearly a year up there working.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not only is (was?) the pistol banned but also the ammo... EACH round is a separate felony count... what a nice place to visit!!!

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote