Find
Notify
Tools

1911 ramped barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
has anyone moded a frame to take ramped barrels. I have a frame with a "over" ground feed ramp that I fixed with a piece of steel, was thinking of a DIY to ramped setup.

Rich

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never modded one to fix a problem but have four that have been cut for ramped barrels. Three Nolwins and a Clark brand .

A good 'smith is the way to go. I don't think it is a good DIY project.

Greg

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
There is an insert available from EGW that I have been using for years in lieau of a ramped barrel. The problem you describe is a very common one these days. I have also welded up and recut quite a few frames. I have also installed more than my share of ramped barrels. These are not necessarily the answer as many of the ramped barrels provide less support than factory.
In a low pressure cartridge(ie., .45, 9mm etc) I would restore the frame to factory
Chuck

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Nowlin bbls and like them very much. They do provide real support. I would not build a Super without one!

Need a mill to do the cut properly.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
There seems to be a good writeup on installation on the Schumann(sic) site about their/Para barrels. My 1911 is a multicaliber job so it's mediocre feeding any caliber. RN work most of the time, the flat nose 40/10mm and fn SWC 45ACP's are n/g.

Rich

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
There seems to be a good writeup on installation on the Schumann(sic) site about their/Para barrels. My 1911 is a multicaliber job so it's mediocre feeding any caliber. RN work most of the time, the flat nose 40/10mm and fn SWC 45ACP's are n/g.

Rich

That shouldnt be an issue of each barrel has its own slide, and the same gunsmith fitted it all. sorry to hear that.

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote