THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    I Need suggestions for new handgun

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Need suggestions for new handgun
 Login/Join

posted
I am graduating college here soon and my graduation present is going to be a handgun. Any suggestions on what i should get?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Need more info. What are the use parameters?

Mike

vmthtr@new.rr.com
920-562-4134

Posts: 224 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 08 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you expecting to do with it???

Being a newbie here, are you writing a finials paper??(troll watch)

Hunting, target, plinking and personal defense will need to be taken into consideration before you can make a choice.

Posts: 17552 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GO BIG
LIKE A 500 with a long barrel and a mil dot scope.
Just in case you want to shoot a Grizzly
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dtrain:
I am graduating college here soon and my graduation present is going to be a handgun. Any suggestions on what i should get?

The choice depends on wht you want to use the handgun for. If it for hunting then go big, if you want it for self defence then there are a number of types and sizes that will fit what ever way you want to carry, or if you want it for HOME defence, then the caliber and/or type of bullets so you don't shoot through walls and kill some of your own family. V I Green says we need more info! There are no "ONE SIZE FITS ALL" handguns.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Stainless 4 inch S&W 44 magnum mountain gun. You can hunt and carry it concealed for personal protection. You can load it heavy for big mean stuff or carry very good defensive 44 special loads. Easy to load for and will rarely decline in value if you take care of it.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Revolver; single action Ruger in a caliber of your choice. If you have not shot much
I'd go for a .357 or 44 special.

Semi auto; for an all around reliable pistol, fun to shoot, accurate, and concealable if you
so choose, the CZ2075 RAMI in 9mm.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if he is just starting to shoot a handgun - get a good 22. big stuff might have its purpose, but learning to shoot is not one of them

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And, they are not cheap to shoot, unlike the 22rf.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be a Ruger revolver with at least a 4" barrel in 357 Mag. You can shoot 38 special wadcutter loads to get used to shooting and work your way up to a comfort level by using standard 38s, 38 +P and the 357 magnum loads. It is a great caliber for personal protection and carrying concealed and good enough to hunt deer as long as you can place your shots well and don't exceed 50 - 75 yards in range. They are built like a tank and only get better with age. I have a Ruger Security-Six with over 40000 rounds through it that still shoots 1" five shot groups at 25 yards. I have owned it for 0ver 42 years. Never had to be tuned or rebarreled.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
A Smith and Wesson 357 N frame.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glock in 10mm auto. Good hunting pistol if you get the 5" bbl. Tactical Solutions makes a 22lr conversion kit, iirc.

Follow that purchase asap with a Dillon SDB and at least 500 pieces of brass. You can load down to 357 loads (900fps) with a 135gr JHP; or up to 1200fps with a 200gr JSP.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Glock in 10mm auto.

I agree. Glock 22(10mm). Why would you get anything else?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote