Find
Notify
Tools

S & W 39
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted
I was at a gun store today that had a NIB model 39 for $595.00 I love the looks and feel of the gun but didn't grab it because I didn't know much about it. Can some of you please tell me some pros and cons and is the price good. And yes really it is NIB.
Thanks

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What would you use it for ? IIRC there were 3 versions in attempts to improve feeding. There are many new 9mm pistols which might be a better choice. The S&W M&P has a good reputation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The first gen 39's had problems with light fireing pin hits That was one of the reason they lost the millatry contract that went to the 92F. The 3rd gen 39 pistols are a good pistol I have a 3913 that works all the time.

They won't last as long as a glock or some of the others . They are most likely good for 20 to 30 thousands of rounds where as a glock 9mm well go into the hundred of thousands of rounds.

At the price you stated a would buy a glock or XD spring field.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My opinion is the the price is a bit steep. Some one can correct me, but I believe the sequence was 39 then 59. I have a 659 which is the stainless version of the 59. I can't remember if the 39 was a high capacity or not, but the 59 is. 15 rounds as I recollect. The 59 has the decocking device so that the gun can be carried hammer down and then the first round is DA. Sorry as I write this I realise that I am talking more about the 59 than the 39, but I am giving you something to compare and, FWIW I would go with the newer model (59) all other things being equal. Why not post this on the smaith and wesson forum?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 39 is a single stack.

I had 2 of them [nickle] for several years, and a blue 59 as well.

I liked the 39's better as they were slimmer and easier to conceal. The 59 would be more suited to a uniformed gun.

In their day they were chosen by people who did not like to carry cocked and locked.

I much prefered a 1911 in 45 ACP but bought them for training purposes. In 9mm most gunsavy peole prefered the Browning Hi Power.

The S&W 39/59 are more of a collectors item today IMHO.

For a carry 9mm get a Glock, H&K, SIG, or Beretta.

I have shot the new S&W 9mm and it might prove to be a good pistol as well.

NONE of them rate the same with me as a 1911 in 45ACP.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
The M-39 was a single stack, felt great in the hand and was a really attractive pistole.
But, they were finicky jamamatics with anything but ball ammo.

NE 450 No2 is right they're best left to collectors now -a- days.

There are a bunch of new plastic pistols out there that are light years ahead of the old M-39. The SIG M225 is a similar alloy framed pistol that actually works when you pull the trigger and if you can find one of those surplus German Police variants that were being sold recently they should be great guns too.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
zeesh i dunno - i've had 39-2's plain old 39's and even a steel framed one. they all worked well. this was the original double action 9mm. if you are looking at an original 39 (no dash) in box, it is a fair price (though a bit high) but try to duplicate it somewhere. they still hold a firm place in my heart, if for no other reason but nostolgia

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
butchloc

I can say that my 39's and the 59 did work very good with all of the different 9mm's that were avialable back in the day.

They even shot the first generation Glaser Safety Slugs 100%.

In fact Jack Cannon Himself shot my 39's with his ammo in 1976.

The Model 39's were the first USA Made "Curnchentickers" in wide spread use.

Still, THEY were NOT 1911's. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree on the double stack grip. It is large. You don't say the intended use. If it is concealed carry then I think that the gun,being steel is probably too heavy. Get a Springfield XD or Glock as recommended above.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
S&W 39's and 59's have aluminium frames.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry you had to correct me again! My 659 is of course, SS. I should stop posting on this topic!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
butchloc and NE450No2,
Didn't mean to disparage anyone's favorite, but I knew several people in Law Enforcement who had problems with various M-39s. They didn't seem to stay in anyone's holster very long.
If you had one that worked that may just mean you were lucky or smarter than the average 1980's LEO who was transitioning to his first "Crunchnticker" (hadn't heard that term in a while). Wink
My present department issues SIG P229s but when off duty some flavor of 1911 is usually on my hip, which is what I carried in the 80's. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick R

The first issue 39's did have problems.

The ones I had worked good, no problems.

They even functioned fine with my reloads [Star progressive].

I never considered them the equal of a Browning Hi Power, but I never carried a 9mm back then.

When S&W quality control got sloppy in the 1980's the 39/59's again had problems.

Later I was required to carry one [Glock 17].

They work great, but again they are not a 1911.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
checked gunlist yesterday and 39's were going for between 400-425

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote