New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love the .41 Magnum!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've now fired about 200 rounds through my new Ruger Blackhawk, "New Model" .41 Magnum revolver. It has a 6.5" barrel and I've been shooting cast 215g SWC's from friendwoodsbullits using 9.0g of Unique. What a nice gun! All of the shooting has been from 50 yards and I'm getting mostly 3" groups. Of course the factory trigger is terrible and will be fixed when I install the steel Bisley grip frame/hammer/trigger kit on it's way from Brownell's. I should have tried the 41 a long time ago as the 44 mag has always been a little too much for me to shoot real accurately. The .41 will be going deer hunting this Fall for sure!

Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite "combo" out in the boonies is my S&W 57, 6" bbl. .41 Mag., and my 1894S Marlin .41 Mag. Not only lots of fun to shoot, but I've used the S&W to kill a 400 pound Black bear and the Marlin to kill a medium size Mule deer. No problems whatsoever.

I'm sure you'll enjoy that Ruger .41 Mag.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first pistol buy was 6" M57 some 43 years ago. Still have it. Still use it. Best deer shot is 124 yards. Just works.

You'll enjoy the Ruger!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your Blackhawk!

-Nice grouping ;-)

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Can't say enough good about the .41. I have killed everything from a crow to a steer with one. Like mstarling said "just works". That bout sums it up.

Enjoy and God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Shhhhh, guys. Everyone else will hear you. The ONLY downside of the .41 is finding bullets, or factory ammo if you don't reload.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Totally in love with Smith 58s,,shot my blackhawk to pieces,,I was very disappointed it only took 58000 rnd.s,,,I want my money back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mad

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Other than what I would imagaine would be lessened recoil, what is the big advantage of the 41 mag over the 44 mag?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IN S&Ws the recoil is much reduced as the pistols with the same length barrel weight a little more too.

As a hunting weapon, the 41M is what the .357M should have been but never quite was.

I personally think it is the optimum for deer sized game ... not too much and not too little. Inherently accurate.

My field carry gun is also a 41M ... a 3" round butt that hides nicely. Would certainly discourage a bear from climbing the tree I'm in ;-)

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have had a Smith 657 since 1986. Would never part with it. My huntin' load is the Hornady 210 gr. XTP in front of 21.1 gr. H110. I get 3" groups at 100 yds. on a regular basis. I've had four shots go into 2" at that distance with the fifth opening up the group to 3". As good as I can hold at 100 yds off a good rest. The 41 takes no back seat to the 44.

Posts: 4 | Location: Orrville, OH | Registered: 24 February 2010Reply With Quote