New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can a 44 special cartridge be used in a Ruger .44 magnum revolver?

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Yes, like a .38 Spl can be shot in a .357 Mag. Just the same, but only after (unrealistic ?) heavy use, the shorter case may develop some erosion in the chambers, due to its shorter length. OTOH, regular shooting of lead bullets will in time leave a lead ring right at the (shorter) case mouth. It needs to be brushed out for it may hamper the chambering of longer .44 Mag cases.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but only after (unrealistic ?) heavy use

I don't know what unrealistic use is I put more then 50000 rounds of 38spl thru a 357 and haven't see wear

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I can't tell, but I've seen an old S&W 19 6", used for years of target work with .38 Spl. 148WC only (how much ?), that had a like flame cutting ring in some chambers. I've been assured, but not witnessed, that the same has happened with lots of (?).22 shorts fired in a .22 LR chamber.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 22 normally is powder and lead build up and a good brushing should remove it.

I have seen the same in a 357 never flame cutting

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ring in the cylinder is not 'flame cutting'. Flame cutting occurs above the end of the barrel in the topstrap area. The ring in the cylinder is undoubtedly lead build up. Buy a stainless steel bore brush (made for use in revolver cylinders only) and watch the lead ring disappear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of you need to add the term "crud ring" to your personal phrase list

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe not the same caliber, but when I shoot a certain batch of 38 Spl wadcutters in my GP-100, they leave a severe 'crud ring' in the chamber. After cleaning it out I switched to loading them in 357 cases and have no problems.

It only happens with this bullet. I fire various 38 Spl handloads of other brand cast SWC and jacketed bullets in my S&W Model 13 and have no problems like the WC's do in the GP-100.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have had a lead build up when using 38spc in a .357 and 44spc in a 44mag even some in a 454 after shooting 45colt loads.
The lead will brush out and has not caused any noticeable wear.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I like the term "crud ring".

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote