Find
Notify
Tools

Backstop Berm Design
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I hope the moderators don't get mad at me for double posting but I wasn't sure where to best ask the question, here or under "miscellaneous". At my club here in France we are building two new pistol stations for pins and reactive targets. But we are a small amateur club and don't have any up to date information on proper backstop/berm design to help us deal with the eventual problem of lead removal. Anybody out there have a typical cross section drawing of a modern backstop berm we could use as an example? If not, written guidelines could be useful since I will be acting as translator. Thanks for any help.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Typical indoor ranges have a steel backstop set at 45 degrees and sand on the bottom .Lead removal is just to sift the bullets out of the sand. Outdoor ranges are often built with treated lumber with dirt and sometimes old tires .Sifting through the dirt removes the lead .In any case , confining it to a small area makes it easier.Keeping up with the latest regulations may be another problem !

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The outdoor range I shoot at has earth berms on either side. The firing pit is dug into the ground about 1-2m. They stacked old car tires three rows deep & approx. 3m high then covered the entire stack w/ several feet of dirt.
It would be easy to screen out the spent bullets if needed.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
Wink, you can get plans from the NRA. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KLN357:
Wink, you can get plans from the NRA. Wink

Thanks for the info, I provided the NRA link for the Range Source Book to our club. Now they'll probably want me to translate the whole damn thing.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
Hey, it's a tough job but someone has to do it! At least you can. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote