New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington R-51
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been eyeballing this gun since Gen 1 came out a few years ago. Decided to wait and I'm glad I did. They recently came out with the Gen 2 and are supposed to have addressed the production issues. Reviews overall seem to be favorable. One guy lamented that it did not handle the steel case/primer and lacquered ammo well and that any carry gun should do this to allow for cheap practice. It would be nice but I would not fault a gun for failing to digest lacquered steel with steel primers with unfailing consistency.

Went by Academy the other day. Caught the last day of a sale and ended up buying one for $369.99 instead of the normal $399.99. Saved $30.

I do like the looks of the gun, the fact that it is 9mm instead of 380 and the compact size. Take down is a bit more complicated than 1911 but does not require a degree in rocket science to get the job done. Picked up some American Eagle 124 gr. FMJ as one reviewer commented that his gun did better with 124 gr. than with 115 gr.

It's been raining here so I haven't been able to go and shoot it but it does point well and is comfortable in my hand.

Anyone taken one of the Gen 2 for a test spin?

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to your range report.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took my wife to the range today to shoot the R-51. No real prep work. Disassembled the gun a few times just to get used to it. made sure there was no excess grease or oil. That was it.

One 50 round box of American Eagle 124 gr. We took turns shooting five rounds, each using our own magazine. I had two FTF towards the end of the box. Both were on the second round in the magazine. Pulled the slide back, let it go, it chambered fine and fired the rest of the mag withut problem. The wife had one FTF but this may have been due to limp wristing.

No complaints on my end. The wife said the grip safety bit her hand a little.

A few other thoughts.
No real complaints with muzzle flip or recoil. Some have indicated this to be a problem. Wife agreed with me that there was nothing excessive. She has a Walther P-99 Military in .40 as a reference

I like the sights as is. Points nicely as is.

Slide stop and ambi mag releases worked just fine

Easy to cock one-handed if you are wearing something other than spandex. Pressed it firmly against the leg of my jeans and was able to easily rack the slide and chamber a round.

Here is a five shot string at about 4 yards. No speed shooting but also no special effort to be accurate

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote