THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Has there ever been a revolver chambered for .375" bullets?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has there ever been a revolver chambered for .375" bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There are lots of caliber choices out there, but has there ever been a revolver chambered for .375" bullets with a over all cartridge length the same as 38 special or 357 mag.
I'm not interested in rifle length ctgs.in a hand gun like a 375Win in a contender.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes if you include cap & ball. The 36 cal was actually .375".
The 38-40 Win was actually .40 "

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that some of the more unusual European and British military and civilian calibres, yes.

And, in fact, I think those conversions - using a heel base bullet - carried out in America of old 36 cap and ball revolvers when the Rollin White patents expired.

The predecessor to the 38 Long Colt is one of those such.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
There is at present one made by Gary Reeder. It's based on a .445 Super Mag case in a long cylindered revolver like a Ruger Maximum. I believe Elgin Gates came out with a .375 Super Mag also in the Dan Wesson.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
British = 360 Rook Rifle. Which, actually, was also offered as a revolver chambering by Webley.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I beleive dan wesson made there gun in a 375 super mag a round based on a case the same lenght as the 357 maximum. It was suppose to be the ticket for siloutte shooters.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Smale:
I beleive dan wesson made there gun in a 375 super mag a round based on a case the same lenght as the 357 maximum. It was suppose to be the ticket for siloutte shooters.

I have in my collection one with the headstamp 375 IHMSA. It was a run of the 375Win cut down to 357 length.

I believe the fellow was using it in a Contender. I thought it would be cool in a wheel gun!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOE MACK:
There is at present one made by Gary Reeder. It's based on a .445 Super Mag case in a long cylindered revolver like a Ruger Maximum. I believe Elgin Gates came out with a .375 Super Mag also in the Dan Wesson.

COrrect. I had one of the early DW, 8"V. Very accurate, really loud. I traded it for a DW 44magVH, wish I had kept it. It would have beena great hunting gun.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote