Find
Notify
Tools

Houston area 1911 smith needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted
My '78 vintage Gold Cup has begun to show its age as badly (or even worse) than its owner. Time to find a local area 'smith to bring it into this century (new barrel, solid bushing, new grip safety, sights, etc.)

Any recommendations? I can ship but don't want to...surely there's someone of considerable talent in the Houston metro area?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 607 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, depends what you want. If you want a competitive Bullseye gun then you need to locate a Bullseye pistol gunsmith, not just any person who works on or even specializes in 1911's. A Kart barrel, bushing, link and link pin, all fitted, would be good to start, but you might also want the slide/frame fit tightened. I honestly don't think that location matters. Mine was done by a local gunsmith (in Jacksonville), Jim Rose (now retired). Jim was a member of the Guild and also had a national reputation as a Bullseye pistolsmith. Just depends on what you want, and, of course, just my 2 cents. Good luck finding someone local. It would certainly be helpful if you could meet at the range if things went south with the work.
BTW, my Gold Cup is of similar vintage!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Peter,

No bullseye guns need apply, thanks. This was my IPSC gun in times past and, when reworked to a suitable point, will serve as an upscale carry gun. Not pimped out by any measure, but a minimalist BBQ gun of quiet, understated elegance. No gold inlay nor ivory panels...I'm thinking more along the lines of a color case hardened frame and a bit of rose and scroll on the slide. I intend to have this old warhorse rebuilt into a handsome companion to accompany me in years to come.

After the essentials of fit, function and sights are seen too, of course...

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 607 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, you seem to have stated your needs pretty well. That certainly narrows down the type of gunsmith you are looking for.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he's still around, Herman Mueschke, Jr. is my first choice.
Mueschke MFG. Co.
1003 Columbia
Houston, Tx 77008
713-869-7073

Second choice is Briley's

Also, contact Jim Pruitt at his shop and ask for other recommendations too.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed VanDenberg gets my vote, he is located in Webster TX, 281-480-3180

Posts: 75 | Location: Spring, Texas,USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Robert & Royce,

Many thanks for the leads...I'll follow 'em up!

Mark

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
The color case and rose scroll limit that part of your work to only one that I know of, Turbull.
The rest can be handled by any number of competant smith's. I don't know of any particular name to give you, but the aformention smith should be able to help you, no sweat.

CW

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Todd Johnson www.lone-star-armory.com

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the replies.

Chuck, thanks for the clarification. Yes, I do see this as basically two seperate projects: one practical, one cosmetic. I never considered that one 'smith would get the bean to do it all...that would almost be like looking for a renowned cardiovascular surgeon that also does world-class plastic surgery in his spare time. A tall order for mere mortals!

Thanks!

Mark

DRSS