New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! S&W 610
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got back from shooting my S&W 610 for the first time.Waiting on reloading stuff for the 10mm, so we picked up a box of 40's Fiocchi 165 JHP's. Using moon clips, 1 out of every 6 shots wouldn't fire,(for about 3 clips) would make an imprint on the primer. It progressively got worse, 2-4 shots wouldn't fire.etc.. DA, was worse, I think only 3 out of 12 shots w/ DA fired. The pistol is also chambered for the 10mm Mag. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are kind of bumming about this right now!

Posts: 98 | Location: N.MI to NE,IN | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first thing I would check is the mainspring tension screw. Make sure it is screwed all the way in. Someone may have backed it out to help with double action pull and gotten it too light for the ammo you are shooting.

And the revolver may have had a spring kit put in it. That could be the source of your problems as well.

good luck.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok thank you, is that the screw at the butt of the handle?

Posts: 98 | Location: N.MI to NE,IN | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, so it is screwed all the way in. Contacted the gunsmith that we purchased it from and he is sending a new mainspring, (had a trigger job done before he sent it out, and it is very light!!) he said something about that possibly having to do w/ it..?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep most likely has to do with it.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, sent it in to the 'smith w/ some of the problematic ammo. Hopefully he can work some magic on it. Ready to throw some 10mm's/mags down it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a local gunsmith do a trigger job on mine.

It works fine with standard 10 mm loads, but I loaded some .40 S&W with rifle primers and it didn't even dent the primer.

The usual "trigger job" involves lightening some springs and maybe a bit of sear honing.

I would bet a new mainspring will solve your issues.

Posts: 10969 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by crbutler:
I loaded some .40 S&W with rifle primers QUOTE]

May I ask why you would load .40's with rifle primers???? It doesn't seem like they would fit the primer pockets correctly and wouldn't be needed. Did you have special brass for the rifle primers?

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot more people out there that call themselves pistol smiths than there are pistol smiths.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
There are a lot more people out there that call themselves pistol smiths than there are pistol smiths.

Boy, ain't that the truth!!

Sometimes one can get lucky though. I had a good friend who used to work in the Ruger factory, assembling revolvers. One night on his own time he took my Speed Six 2-1/2" .357 Mag in there and set about trying all the different lock work parts in it which he had at hand there.

After about 6 hours, he had made the smoothest, lightest pull double action I have ever seen. It also will fire anything I have ever put in it for ammo, with never a misfire.

Not a practical approach for most folks, but as I said, sometimes you get lucky.

My only two regrets are that I sold the pistol in Oregon about 7 or 8 years ago to a friend who wanted a protection gun, and my friend Larry Arnold met some girl, married her, and moved with her to her home state of New Jersey. So he no longer works in the gun field and can't do that again, even for himself.

Love conquers &subverts all...

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After about 6 hours, he had made the smoothest, lightest pull double action I have ever seen. It also will fire anything I have ever put in it for ammo, with never a misfire.

As the armorer for my dept we were using P89s at the time I changed out trigger parts and got a very nice trigger for mine out of it.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote