Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigma series?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm going to be buying a pistol and have very little experience with anything other than H&K. I would like a pistol in the 300-500 dollar range. I've looked at the S&W Sigma series, Ruger P-90, Springfeild XD.
What do you think?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Used S&W Sigmas (40S&W) are readily available at a good price. I have one and love it. I got my son an XD with the short (3 inch plus) barrel. Difference in size is a factor. The Sigma has a full size grip, the XD really does not, unless you get the "extension" for the bottom of the mag. for your little finger. For a carry gun, the small XD would be better. For a lot of shooting with reasonably stiff loads, shoot the Sigma. Just my opinion.
Peter.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the sigma i had was not the best thing in the world. trigger pull i think was somewhere in the logchain tied around the truck bumper weight. My XD on the other hand, while certainly not the target type trigger, at least is useable, the rest of XD just keeps functioning which whatever gets stuck through it and has more than an accetable accuracy for a pistol of this type

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed butchloc, the Sigma has the same "safe action" trigger that the Glock has.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a sigma, gander had them on clearance for 300.

its a good gun, it went bang every time, but that trigger was far and away the worst i've ever had the pleasure to handle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe different now, but when the Sigma first came out it was intended as a "home defense" handgun that wasn't going to be shot much.

What I was hearing was durability issues related to the alloys used in the gun's frame.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
45/70 - that reminds me - when the 380's first came out they were made in a nearby town. I believe the S&W rep said they cost them 30 some buck apiece. They had a lifetime warranty and were a real piece of junk. I asked him why the lifetime warranty on junk & he looked at me with a smile and said - so who's going to shoot it that much

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, except for people who compete either in Bullseye, IPSC or IDPA, I suspect that very few guns (either rifle or pistol) are used much. That's what makes them such a good buy used!
Peter.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a sigma in 40 cal and have been less than impressed with it. I would not recommend you purchase one. On the other hand, where I live police trade in glocks in 40 and 45 cal are readily available, these are abit worn in the finish department but in very good shape as far as a shooter. They usually sell for between $350. and $400. and some with the nightsight option at that. I would recommend a used Glock for your application.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a used glock you can find them for around 350 dollars. Stay far away from the sigma series pistols they are junk. The Ruger and the Springfield are both much better choices. Esox357.

Picture of Grampa6
posted Hide Post
The only good thing that can be said about the Sigma is that it does feel better in your hand than a Glock. I truly believe you would be better served with a used Glock, a ruger, Taurus, or anything other than a Sigma.

Just my two cents, Smiler

"You may find me one day, dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Trooper M. Padgett

Posts: 5 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend has a sigma, and I would rather be armed with a loarge stick. Never have I found such a horrible trigger. Glock triggers are considerably better. I think you would be happiest with the function of the XD for what you originally listed, providing you like the way it fits in your hand. wk

Posts: 63 | Location: Maryville, MO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a heap of handguns I bought at one time or another for "defense." On the "big end" a Smith Mod. 629 in 44 mag, 4" bbl. On the "small end" a NAA 32 ACP. -- all manner of snubbies, semi-auto, etc. etc.

For carry I like the Kahr MK9 Elite. Just happens to have been for sale used in the shop.

Smith Mod. 60, 357 mag. -- I took the spur off the hammer. It's double action only. Spur stabbed me IWB.

Ultra Compact 1911 -- I have a thumb break holster for this gun. I'm OK with "cocked/locked" if the holster has a hammer strap.

Couple Uzi Mod. 45 -- pistol and carbine. These are nice "truck guns."

But all the books tell you that you don't want to take a handgun to a gunfight.

For home defense, in a truck, etc, I'm a big fan of the AK-47 or the Rem. 870 w/ short 20" bbl. in Imp Cyl.

But if I were looking at a Sigma, I'd shop for a Kahr, or a CZ Mod. 75.