Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taurus 605 357 Problem
 Login/Join

posted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just bought a NEW model 605 in 357. This is the HAMERLESS version. The problem is: I took it out today to shoot some 38 spec and some 357 factory loads. If i slowly squeezed the trigger, the rounds would NOT fire, the firing pin would lightly dent the primer. If I squeezed the hell [real fast jerking motion]out of the trigger they would fire. Is this common with hamerless revolvers? I bought this for a carry gun, I NEED to trust it and as of now I dont. Any advise on techique or what I should do??
Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They come with a lifetime warranty so I would not have any modifications done to it by anyone. Call the customer service # and they will tell you where to ship it for repair/replace. I have the 605 with the hammer and it works flawlessly after digesting hundreds of rounds. They are great revolvers but I would rather have the hammer as there is more weight striking the primer thus better reliability. If you must mess with it have a gunsmith install a stronger hammer spring. The hammer is bobbed but most of it is intact and it does not have enough weight to crack the primer cup, more so if the primer is a CCI which are noted to have a harder primer cup. Best advice though is to call the help number and they are great people to deal with.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has been a commonly reported problem with the bobbed version of the 605. Buy the Wolff 11 lb hammer spring for $5 and that should cure the problem (assuming you know how to remove the side plate without making a mess of it and the screws). I would try that before spending $35 to overnight it back to Taurus. If you bought it from a gunshop, see if they won't handle the warranty issue. A good shop will send it back for repair or replace it at no charge.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
CSH, I called Wolff and they were NO help. He said he only had LIGHTER springs for the Taurus. You got a part number on that 11 pound spring??
Thanks

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After checking the Wolff website, it looks like they told you the truth. The 11 lb is listed as a reference only. You can either call Taurus and see if they will ship a spring to you, or return it to them with an explanation of the problem. I have returned a couple of guns to them and the turnaround time averaged about a week. Like I said earlier, see if the gun shop will take care of this for you.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have never shot the taurus hammerless, but i picked up the smith and wesson version in .38 special for a carry gun.
it doesn't matter how fast i pull the trigger, its never failed to go bang.
imo, and some people will disagree, but if you're going to buy a gun to carry, for self defense, i wouldn't go cheap. not that taurus doesn't make a good weapon, i've just heard too many negative things to trust them in a situation that would require self preservation. would i buy a taurus to take to the range and plink with? yeah...but thats about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I bet you never heard of any S&W's that failed to deliver, right. Well, shoot more of them and you will.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i didn't say that.

i have heard of people having trouble with smith, but i've heard of a lot more people having trouble with taurus.

if i'm going to carry something that might be called to save my life, i'd try to stack as many odds in my favor as i can.