New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 1911?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to buy a new 1911. Something nice. I was looking at the Kimber Desert Warrior. What's it like out of the "photo-magic shop" and in the hand? Still look as good? How does it shoot? Is there another 1911 that would be more worth while? Your opinions please! All bias kindly accepted. Wink

Arctic Gun

Posts: 91 | Location: North of sixty | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Springfields. Razzer

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
I have 3 kimber 1911s and they are all shooters. After I bought the first one I was hooked.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Choices are abundant in the world of 1911s. It comes down to a decision on what features you want and how much you're willing to pay.

The Kimber Desert Warrior will run you about $1150, so I'll limit my ideas to guns in that price range and having the Desert Warrior features. My experience has been that Kimber makes a good gun for the money. Accuracy usually is exceptional. You'll find plenty of guys on the gun forums that don't like Kimbers for one reason or another but they are greatly outnumbered by guys who love their Kimbers. I have one Kimber and it is a very accurate and reliable pistol.

Take a look at the Springfield TRP Operator as well. It'll cost a little more than the Kimber, but it's a bit more pistol. I have a Springfield TRP (no light rail) and it is a terrific pistol. The basic Springfields often need some work, but their high-end products are excellent.

I have one Colt reproduction Series 70 pistol that I purchased to use as the basis for a custom. It is loose and sloppy. The trigger is terrible and accuracy suffers. It'll be fine once I spend a grand or more on it, but I don't think that's what you have in mind to do.

If you're willing to spend a few hundred more, you can include the Les Baers to your list. Baer makes a hell of a pistol for the amount they charge. I have three Les Baers and they are all very, very accurate and run without a hitch. Baer makes a model with a light rail if that's what you want. Prices go up quickly and substaintally if you want a better pistol than a Baer. Next stop is Brown or Wilson; beyond that it's full custom with a full-custom price tag.

Rock River Arms makes a tactical 1911 with a light rail. The one RRA pistol I've fired was good, but I've heard mixed reviews from other guys. For the price charged, an RRA ought to be accurate and foolproof. They want $1900 for their tactical pistol and for that price I'd rather buy a Baer or a Brown.

Guys who own SIG and Smith & Wesson 1911s seem to be very pleased with their guns but I don't have any experience with these brands.

Check out thehighroad.org and www.1911forum.com for lots of good info and discussion. When you're ready to drool, check out the customs on www.louderthanwords.us

As you gather info, report back with your findings. I'd love to know what you learn.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also consider something in STI's line. The only STI with a rail that's anywhere near the cost of the Kimber Desert Warrior is the Duty One (about $250 more), but it lacks the tritium sights of the DW (available from STI for an extra $65). If the rail isn't absolutely necessary, the STI Trojan is a very nice piece and about $200 less than the Kimber. I have 2 Kimbers, a Springfield, and the STI Trojan 5.0, and I can tell you without reservation that the STI is better in terms of fit, finish, and accuracy than any of my other 1911s.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Springfield "Loaded" pistols are the best for the money. I think Kimbers are great, too, but some more money for the same feature set. Probably worth the extra they charge if you're looking for something unique like the Desert Warrior.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I went to a few gun shops in the area and looked at many different brands of 1911s. Although I couldn't find a Springfield they are kind of out of the question anyway. Why? Because there is only a single importer of Springfield pistols here in Canada and he adds some three to four hundred dollers to every pistol he brings in just because he can. So your Springfield 1911GI becomes a low-end pistol with a high end price.
Any way, after all the looking, handleing, and inspecting, I still preferred the Kimber Desert Warrior above all. There's just something about it that makes me feel all fuzzy inside Big Grin
I've got to head north in a few days for work so I'll have to wait a few months before I'm back in the south to buy that cannon. But I'll wait, and do so with a happy heart. Thanks for all your help and I'll have a "Frozen Field Report" some time in December.

Arctic Gun

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
All the 1911's mentioned are fine firearms. I have a few "name" 1911's that I shoot in Bullseye and IPSC. But, depending on what type of shooting you are going to do I would sure take a close look at the new Taurus, if you can find one. I do not have one but it looks and sounds like a lot of pistol for the money. sofa

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buddy just had to have desert warrior,, paid full pop at local gun store,,, shot 4inches high with our common ammo and three inches left.. worked on sites tried different ammo.. installed new front .. he ended trading back to gun shop for full refund,,and the worked a deal on a stock wilson loves it... by the way have a kimber IIcustom target that got him fired up in the first place I LOVE IT ... snicker,, mr peanut grips,,,,

Posts: 104 | Location: south of san antonio | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Colt. There is no substitute. And the 1911 is like the smallblock chevy. Make it be what you want and need, the aftermarket support is vast. But if you start with colt, then it's the real thing.

JMO

Pyro

one of us
posted Hide Post
1911's are wonderful in their infinite variety. Baer, Wilson, STI/SVI, and Ed Brown all make very, very nice pieces.

What are you going to use the pistol for? If it has to last under heavy use the cost goes up some. After building a number of them over the years, I would not start with a Para. They cost too much to build and are prone to cracking down the inside of the trigger groove on the right side. Of course it takes 30 to 50 thousand rounds for it to show up.

Baer makes what I consider to be the best slides. They are forged, heat treated and them CNC machined. Tney are straight and last.

There are more good parts and pieces and more smiths that really know the 1911 than all other pistols put together.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the new Taurus 1911. It has all of the features of the top of the line names for about half of the price.
BJB

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Les Baer Thunder Ranch model. Built to specs from Clint Smith. Otherwise, look at the possibilities from the gunsmith at Gunsite. No lemons there either.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brasskeeper
posted Hide Post
I own Colt, Kimber and springfield. The springfields are cheaper, they are also just as reliable and just as accurate as the Colt Kimber

Posts: 135 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for $1000 id be looking at a sti trojan.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Probably have owned and built over 100 1911's thru the years. Currently have a Kimber Pro CDP
and it is strictly top drawer..

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to favor Springers and Smith's. I also have a Colt in 38 super that's fine. If Springer's are out, I think I'd recommend you take a look at a Smith & Wesson if you can. I have two, both of which have been flawless in function and are extremely accurate.

Posts: 217 | Location: upstate ny | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My kinmber CDP is incredibly accurate. I also just bought the new Springfield EMP but haven't had the chance to shoot it yet.

Posts: 119 | Location: Houston | Registered: 06 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's more parts available after-market for the 1911 than any other handgun, maybe any other firearm. That said, if you have a receiver, you can build a gun from after-market parts -- and all these parts have some sort of "custom" feature.

The high-end custom guns are used in competition for IPSC, etc. Single-action and 45 ACP, they're called "race guns" and Les Baer builds some of the best.

History-wise, the Colt Gold Cup is the "gold standard" for high-end production 1911's. Sort of like owning a Harley.

Les Baer is the hot way to go in custom 1911 guns.

I'd look at the Les Baer site:

http://www.lesbaer.com/1911s.html

Personally, I think Kimber is over-rated. When they first moved from Gladstone OR to New York, they weren't actually manufacturing anything. Instead, they were contracting after-market suppliers and buiding guns from parts.

And they had some fit problems. I remember when the mag catch wouldn't "catch" the mag unless depressed. But I'm sure they've improved in the past decade.

Last time I checked -- Les Baer wouldn't work on a Kimber. Kimber had a two-year warranty. Springfield warranty was for life -- and Les Baer would work on a Springfield.

I just checked the Kimber site. No discussion about warranty.

Springfield has the contract for guns to the FBI and SWAT teams. That says a lot to me.

-- Ahhhhhhhhh, there's a rivalry between Springfield and Kimber, I don't deny it!

Wilson Combat builds probaby the best gun in the "production" end of the business.

I'm sure Kimber probably builds a "tighter" and finer finished gun than Springfield, but how much "eye candy" are you willing to pay for?

Kimbers have "status" appeal. Springfield just builds a tight gun that works, and is warranted for life.

-- You'll forgive me if I'm put off by Kimber's marketing.

So, before you launch into a 1911, figure out what you want to do with it. I have a Springfield Mil-Spec -- That's the Parkerized, black finish "plain vanilla" 1911, the one like those issued to the military, 5" bbl. It has a beveled mag well, lowered ejection port, and I replaced the plastic grips with rosewood Hogues. I replaced the bushing and installed a one-piece stainless recoil rod.

The slide is tight, as is the bbl. bushing, and it's accurate, reliable.

I have a Sprinfield "loaded" Ultra Compact. This has a Videki trigger, skeletonized hammer, upswept grip safety, Hogue wrap around grips, extended slide releases, Bomar night sights, stainless recoil rod, titanium firing pin, forged match-grade bbl. etc, etc. I bought it for CCW. I never carry it. Too big. Great side-arm for "open carry" in the field.

It's accurate, reliable, handles and shoots well, and is retaining its value. Probably nearly 10 yrs old, it's still under warranty. *S*

I've added stainless Chip McCormick "Shooting Star" 8 rd. mags with "heel bumpers." The stock mags have heel bumpers too.

I don't care for the serrations on the front of the slide. My 1911 carry gun in the Army didn't have them. I think that's a bad place to grab the slide.

Soooooo -- do some shopping. Tons of sites online for the 1911. Figure out what you want, what you need. Figure out what you don't need.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not doubt your experience with the 1911, there is no question about that. I origionally would have liked to buy a Springfield (I own several Springfield rifles) but their pistols are too damn expencive here in Canada. A Mil- Spec. for example would end up costing me a full grand! So a Kimber Warrior, or Desert Warrior, is the most gun I can get for the same price as a reletivly "lower end model" Springfield.
Sucks, but until other people start importing Springfield pistols, I won't have one anytime soon. CRYBABY

Arctic Gun